Thursday, July 13, 2006

Sad for Lebanon

A few years back, I had the opportunity to visit Lebanon as part of a project I was working on. I know that when many Americans think of Lebanon, they can only remember the horrible civil war, almost 20 years ago. However, the Lebanon I visited was such a wonderful place and I am so sad to hear what is happening today.

Beirut still had pock-marked buildings from the bombings, but it also had rebuilt major parts of the city. The Roman ruins at Baalbek were stunning (and bigger than the ones in Rome). The people were over-the-top kind and my Lebanese co-workers showed me all around their beautiful country and invited me to their homes for amazing Lebanese feasts. Everyone I met told stories of the war and made it was absolutely clear that they would do anything to avoid more fighting.

You see, the majority of the people of Lebanon are not Hezbollah (despite the skewed view that the media presents) and most of the people can't stand what Hezbollah does. You have all seen proof of this when the entire city came out to protest for peace after Hariri was killed in a car bomb. The people of Beiruit are not the same as Hezbollah and it makes me so sad to hear that Israel has bombed the runways at the international airport because this means that all Lebanese people will suffer, not just the Hezbollah terrorists who control the South. It means that one of Lebanon's major industries - tourism - will be disrupted for a long time. It also means that the economic growth which has been pulling the Lebanese people out of the cycle of poverty and desperation will be stifled once again by conflict.

Please don't get me wrong, I strongly believe that Israel has a right to defend themselves against a direct attack such as the one which happened yesterday. Israel is under constant threat from Hezbollah (not to mention Hamas) and they have every right to protect their citizens from this threat. I just wish they could find some way to work with the new, moderate Lebanese government against Hezbollah rather than forcing them into a corner by bombing them. I don't have the answer but I'm sure it's out there somewhere.

The situation in the Middle East is just so sad, in so many ways. So much hate, so much desperation, vengence, intolerance, ignorance, fear, prejudice. This cycle has gone on longer than anyone can remember - will it ever stop?

I am so sick of people pointing fingers, assigning blame, calling names, holding grudges and teaching hate to the next generation. The people I knew in Lebanon lived through a war that taught them that war wasn't the solution and they were all working to make the world a better place through tolerance and understanding of their neighbors' religions. For them, I am so sad to know that they, once again, have to live through more bombs and fighting and fear.

3 Comments:

At 4:50 PM, Blogger Roger said...

I've never been to Lebanon, but I worked with some Lebanese who came to the United States, and they were some of my favorite people.

And I wholeheartedly agree that the whole situation is just sad. I am pessimistic that the violence in the Mideast will never stop, but I do believe a solution exists, if we could just find it.

 
At 8:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Once again you bring insite and the human factor to a tragic situation.
Unfortunatly, there will never be an end to the cycles of violence in the Middle East. Only one country - the USA can bring an end to the violence - and we will never do it.
Our leaders have always backed Israel 100% - and that is the crux of the problem.
Mike

 
At 1:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just for the record, that previous comment was from Mike, Sr.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home