Monday, June 26, 2006

Germany, Luxembourg and the hostess with the mostest

I won't bore you with one of those "And then we saw this...and then we did that" descriptions of our trip like I usually do. Instead, I'll give you the highlights...

Most surprising part of our World Cup adventure: Beautiful, fairy tale-like Luxembourg. Look at this picture to the right. Doesn't it look like you're looking at a model train set?

Nicest feeling: Being in Germany where the roads are well marked, the activities are well organized, customer service is efficent (and actually exists) and the people bent over backward to welcome us to their country. I think the Germans have spent the last half-century repenting for sins from World War II and they certainly used the opportunity of World Cup to demonstrate to the world what a warm, kind bunch they are!















Happiest time: Getting to know Andrea (see picture of Andrea standing on her fabulous balcony with the flowers that she had bloom specifically for our arrival). Andrea was Mike's sister's pen pal when they were kids, visited his family when she was in high school and has been an honorary sibling ever since. She showed us all around her beautiful town of Mainz and was certainly the hostess with the mostest during our visit!

Best meal: Bratwursts and beer at the World Cup fan fest in Berlin (Andrea's wonderful mango shrimp soup was a close, close second.)

Best form of historical revenge: Having the tour guide show us the site of Hitler's famous bunker - which is now nothing more than an unmarked, unremarkable gravel parking lot.

Saddest moment: Auschwitz (which is actually in Poland). Every person on earth (especially the President of Iran) should visit this place and come face-to-face with the atrocities committed by the Nazis so they can remember what happens when a population places blind trust in a political party or government and is afraid to question the actions of its leaders.

Coolest city that I didn't think would be cool: Krakow. Wow, how cute! I wish we'd planned to stay more than one evening in this medievel town.

Biggest disappointment: Watching the US soccer team get their butts kicked by Ghana.....but I don't really want to talk about that...(but I did take a nice picture of a true American fan before the game started).

Tune in tomorrow when I tell you about "German beer for kids..."

4 Comments:

At 9:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I fully understand your feelings towards the German people.
when I was stationed there in 66-68 I never could figure out how they could have done what they did. they were wonderful, friendly people.
I have been back many times on business and have never had any problems with the people - and the country is so beautiful.
Andrea is truly a wonderful person and has been a good friend of Jennifer's and Michael for a long time.

 
At 6:44 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Momo Kapor - A Guide to the Serbian Mentality (illustrated by the author) in english! Dereta bookstore, almost at the end of Knez Mihajlova st., near Kolarac or Via del giusto.

 
At 8:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

whats wrong with ghana kicking usa ass?? u thought they (ghana's team trained by a serbian coach :))) couldnt do it and instead someonelse should have? ghanas great!!

 
At 7:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the compliment...! It was a great pleasure having had the possibility to host you here in Mainz and I hope that we will have the chance to meet again soon!!! I enjoyed it very much to travel a bit with you - so I also got to know Luxembourg!!!
A big hug to you both and everyone I know back in the US. I'm looking forward to seeing you all again soon!
Andrea.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home