Spectacular Montenegro

We spent two days in Montenegro last weekend and all I can say is WOW, what a beautiful country (since now, I guess, it is its own country). It's a gem unknown to most Americans.
We spent the first day of our weekend on the coast - only about 45 minutes from the capital, Podgorica - visiting Kotor and Budva, both of which are adorable Mediterranean coastal towns complete with traditional medieval fortresses and pebble beaches. If you've seen the CNN commercials pitching the Croatian coast with the tag line, "The Mediterranean, as it once was", well the idea certainly applies an hour south in Montenegro too.
The second day (referendum day) we were told to drive north to be "on-call" election monitors. I think "on-call" is code for "we have too many monitors, so get out of the city and see stuff until we figure out what to do with you."
So, we willingly took the day to explore the moutainous north of tiny Montenegro and within 45 minutes of leaving Podgorica, we were already surrounded by snow-capped mountains and beautiful forests and waterfalls. We hiked around a glacial lake with little frogs hopping along the trail and toured the cliff-hanging monastery of Ostrog which is built into the rocky face of a mountain, 900 meters above the valley floor.
Montenegro is absolutely stunning in its natural beauty. Nature lovers would feel like they went to heaven traveling around this place because both the coast and the mountains are no more than an hour's drive from the capital city.

6 Comments:
Wow--count me in on that idea! mom
The three posted photos are stunning. Does the photographer work for National Geographic?
Your blog reads like an entry in Lonely Planet; nice going. atk
I've been to Montenegro twice. My husband was born and raised there. Did you visit that Monastary in the Mountain? It's called Ostrog Monastary. It's breathtaking.
Montenegro certainly does seem like a paradise for nature lovers. And that monastary in the mountain is just beautiful. Where else have I seen them? Tibet?
I just stumbled upon your blog. I scanned the newer topics until I got to this one. Glad you enjoyed Montenegro. I used to spend my summers there, I miss it. You can see more pics here
http://www.visit-montenegro.cg.yu/index.php?l=e
http://www.travel2montenegro.com/
Another gallery (my favorite)
http://www.hercegnovi.cc/foto/e_index.php
Post a Comment
<< Home