Wednesday, April 19, 2006

Ode to the other white meat

So in this day and age of healthy eating, it might be considered "wrong" to admit it, but I am feeling bold today (and I just ate a yummy hot dog for dinner), and so I'm going to let you in on a secret: I love pork. It is my favorite meat.

I know that some are totally offended by pork and some just think it's not healthy, but sometimes in life, a woman just needs a little sausage....

Seriously, though, if you think about it, pork just might be the best meat out there - chicken has the flu, and beef has gone mad, but I haven't heard one bad thing about pork in a long while. So I say, pile on the ribs and grill me a brat, because I think I'm in hog-heaven here in the pork capital of the world. And if you don't believe me that the Serbs like their sausage, check out a picture of the sausage aisle at the supermarket:


7 Comments:

At 4:53 PM, Blogger Brad said...

That's only about half of the sausage aisle. The Serbs have a serious love for sausage. I thought that people were seroius about meat Wisconsin, the Serbs have them beat hands down.

Also note that these are only the pre-packaged options. There is a whole other counter for fresh sausage.

Also in this same store you can buy a stereo, CD's, Furniture, clothing, but no plastic forks.

 
At 10:47 AM, Blogger Miss Kim said...

Holy Cow-- no I mean PIG!

 
At 8:17 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There was some Serbian commentator who made a comment about the Serbian love for sausage - some kind of Freudian stuff apparantly.

I must admit that sausages dont really do it for me. Too much white stuff (fat) and not enough red (meat). I do think though that prsut(a) is great, if a little expensive.

DS have you tried pihtija? I think its this anyway. Its a kind of pig jelly fat (and some meat) with garlic. Its something of a delicacy but not many people eat it. Its not bad really considering what its made from.

There is also horsemeat available.

 
At 3:27 PM, Blogger Roger said...

Mmm... Sausage.

 
At 11:37 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ehm....don't want to rain on your pork parade, but have't you heard of pig's plague yet? Google it or something....in this day and age, ou don't want to be eating meat at all.

 
At 5:48 AM, Blogger Brooke said...

I haven't tried the pihtija yet and from your desciption, I don't think I will try that anytime soon.

And in terms of the "pig's plague" that was mentioned by anonymous, it's called foot and mouth disease - and it doesn't affect humans.

 
At 10:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ok, so, excuse me for not speaking fluent English. Let me hear you speak Dutch. But whatever. If you want to eat it, be my guest!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home