Sunday, June 25, 2006

6 - 0

Alright, I know it's been over a week since the Argentina vs. Serbia match, but I just got back, so I thought I'd share what it was like being at the game.

We had ordered tickets to be delivered to our house here in Belgrade and so I figured that FIFA assumed we were rooting for Serbia and that I would be the lone Argentine fan in a sea of Serbian fans - not that I was planning to tone down my singing.....but, apparently FIFA has a sense of humor because, not only were we not in the Serbian section, we were smack in the middle of the drum-beating, never-sit-down, sing-at-the-top-of-their-lungs Argentine fanatics section, YAY!!!!! And really, if you're going to watch your team score 6 goals, that is exactly where you want to be!

Luckily, Mike was in his Red Star jersey so it wasn't immediately apparent to everyone around us that he was rooting for Serbia, and those that did realize gave me a look like, "You're with him?" I tried to give a look in return that said, "Hey, look, he can't help himself, he's never been to an Argentine match, he doesn't know what he's missing," but I think most people were just confused.

Anyway, the game started and after the first 2 goals, those who had realized Mike was a Serbia fan taunted him a little. After 4 goals had been scored (wow, isn't that fun to say?) they just started to feel a little bad for him. At goal 5 he sat down with his head in his hands and the Argentines started to pat him on the back to buck him up. By goal 6 (at which point I think I lost my voice from so much singing and screaming) Mike just had to laugh. The game was just too horrible for him and I think the Argentines around us felt a tad bit bad for celebrating so much. Even I put my hand over my mouth laughing at the lopsidedness of the game.

I think this is the point Mike also came over to the Argentine side - their passion is just too infectious! After the game we stuck around for about a half hour while the Argentine section continued their drum-beating and singing, it was a moment too good to let go!

3 Comments:

At 6:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mike ... sorry!

 
At 12:07 PM, Blogger Lotus Reads said...

Wow, what an experience! The atmosphere must have been eletrifying!!!

 
At 8:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What?, no comment from Diego? mom

 

Post a Comment

<< Home