Monday, July 10, 2006

What is the deal?

It's time for another installment of "what is the deal?"

What is the deal with all the PDA (public displays of affection)? I am used to seeing teenagers making out in public, but people who look like they are late into their twenties? Can it be that so many twenty-somethings still live with their parents that the only place to make out is on the park benches and in doorways of apartment buildings? I mean, I'm all for a little more love in the world, but seriously, get a room people...

What is the deal with the inability to queue in lines? I thought people who lived in former Communist countries were good at queuing - why does it seem that this skill has totally been lost in so many places in Belgrade? I have been cut in line at the airport (where we even have assigned seats!?), at the movie theatre, kiosks and certainly in traffic. I find this inability to respect others quite symbolic of the decay of the social order.

What is the deal with every store clerk asking if I have sitno (small change)? I can see you have a drawer full of change for me, why do you always make me dig through my change purse to get the exact amount? They don't make me do that at the market and they don't even have a change drawer.

What is the deal with so much dog poop on the sidewalks? I have taken care of a friend's dog and she always waited until she was on the grass to take a poop, why can't other people either train their dogs to poop on the grass or clean the poop up so that the rest of us don't end up sliding through it when we walk to work?

Ok, positive one - what is the deal with the poorest people giving me discounts (at the market they always give me a freebie and the delivery guy gives me a discount if he's running late), but those with more money always want to rip me off? This one seems to be a rule everywhere I've been in the world - those with the least always share the most - and the same is true in Serbia.

11 Comments:

At 6:34 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

this is a sign you have to become stronger to survive in a world and let go amer.comfort. you can do it! ignore horrible people and focus on beautiful serbs and things around..ps.be more understandable toward serbian teenagers, they go through crazy stuff..no money, living with parents etc..cheers! ps.1--you are completely right about a dog poop!

 
At 9:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

maybe not the poop..

 
At 9:59 AM, Blogger Brad said...

I thought the PDA was great when I was in Belgrade. It gave the whole city a feeling of young love, romance, and passion. Very different from American cities, even Miami. Plus all the Serbian women are beautiful, which is nice.
I feel your pain on the poop though.

 
At 12:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Serbian men were voted as the most romantic lovers on earth. I don't know which study it was - but I heard it on one of the morning talk shows.

 
At 3:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hahahahaha...i love this blog..it gets better and better..brad, thanx..maybe i should post my pic and then you and i should get together :P...and bella..i dont know if they are really romantic(the first haha was for that), but i know they are more persistent and not self-suficient when they date women compared to american young guys.

 
At 7:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

@Bella, maybe it was Siberian? or Barberian? Or Armenian? Because Serbian is not

 
At 6:27 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I must respectfully disagree skeptic.
Although I can't find the sources to back me up - and believe me I tried - They were voted as best lovers.

 
At 7:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

GO BRAD!!

 
At 12:32 PM, Blogger Bg anon said...

PDA isnt an issue unless you are in a cinema and are forced to watch or worse still listen a heavy kissing session going on in front of you. ugh.

You are being funny about people in former Communist countries being good at queing right? At least I hope you are. It doesnt work like that, being used to being forced to wait in queues doesnt make you skilled, it means you've wasted a lot of time in life. Unlikely to inspire a person to want to waste even more time waiting in queues.

There is something connected to this - queue jumpers are much of the time old people. Bad at queing or respectful of the elderly - depends on your perspective - although IMO any queuing is too much queueing. Thats just me though.

You might find that there are lots of dog poop on the pavement because there are still lots of stray dogs around - although I'm informed that there will be drastically less over the next few years.

 
At 9:22 AM, Blogger oskar said...

PDA, is definately about people living in cramped appartments with their parents way into their 20s. Maybe Japanese style "Love hotels" are the solution. A lot of them are actually quite imaginative and funny (think theme-hotel).

Poop, that really brings down comfort level of walking home drunk at night.

 
At 4:28 AM, Blogger serbcanadian said...

"What is the deal with every store clerk asking if I have sitno (small change)?"

The deal is that serbian people typically are lazy; they ask for 'sitno' so they don't personally have to search for change ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home