Tuesday, July 04, 2006

Happy 4th of July!!!

The 4th of July is my favorite holiday - I think I like it so much because it is such a relaxing, happy holiday. Everyone around you - friends, family and strangers are in a good mood and are generally thinking about how we, as Americans, all strongly believe in the freedoms for which our country stands. It's also a day that reminds us how similar we really are even though we all have different skin tones, religions and political beliefs.

Being outside the US for the 4th of July makes me kind of sad, not only because I had to work, but because not everyone around me shares in my happiness today. For all the times I criticize the current administration, I still believe the US is the greatest country on earth and I really do miss celebrating it's birthday with a few fireworks, some hotdogs and ice cream, and a bunch of laid-back, happy, American friends and family.

p.s. - Yes, Bojana, we all know you think the "USA sucks". You are very wrong.

22 Comments:

At 6:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh my god! u re such a freak..sugarblahblaha..usa this usa that..there is no such a thing as the best country on earth..everyone is different and therefore it all depends! 4th of july is boring, be happy u re where u re at now..ps.happy small 4th of july..?

 
At 5:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ballet sucks

 
At 8:29 AM, Blogger Meaghan said...

Dude, how can you say 4th of July is boring? Who are you, and have you ever celebrated 4th of July in the USA? I'm tired of people who trash-talk the USA without really understanding it.

I loved being home for the 4th after having been away for 10 months; it was a wonderful homecoming, full of family, BBQ, fireworks, bug spray, and patriotic sing-alongs.

 
At 9:57 AM, Blogger Marko said...

Happy 4th of July!

 
At 2:51 PM, Blogger Ania said...

It is very said that so many Americans take their country for granted and do not apprieciate what they have. Let them go someware else for few months, maybe it will open their eyes.
This is the best country in the world and most immigrants I now truly love it.
Happy 4th of July!!!

 
At 3:32 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

All countries are both good and bad, with the apparently notable exception of Serbia, which has been turned into a pariah by the West, and can only be considered, now, as all bad(!!!), although I'm sure this is completely contrary to what you found in living there temporarily.

Calling the U.S. the "greatest country on earth" can come only from either complete prejudice or early childhood indocrination (since so many of us have heard this over and over and over all our lives), or sentimentality (and, no, I don't blame you for being sentimental about your home country), or from a very myopic point of view. Another example is that in California they keep telling us it's "the best place on earth." Ha! Only if you haven't been anywhere else. I can't help but resent such bigotted sentiments, at least when they are made in such a blanket manner.

I have enjoyed reading all your articles about life in Serbia, and have no wish to offend you, but unfortunately it was this most recent, 4th of July, posting of yours that moved me to comment because, while it has its good points, of course, in many ways the U.S. does "suck," as do Britain and Germany. My reasons for feeling that way are exemplified in the links below, and I speak as someone who has spent most of her life in the U.S., 15 years in Britain (my second home) and who is half-German by birth.

Anyone with any regard for the Serbian people will be aware of how they have been completely, utterly mistreated and demonized, undeservedly and wickedly, by this particular axis of aggressors: U.S./Britain/Germany. They not only all "suck," they have in fact committed grievous -- and unforgivable -- sins against the Serbs. I hope that the work in your "grupa" is not work for some U.S.-sponsored NGO that carries on the demonization as so many of them do, under the guize of being there to "help."

You will simply have to pardon me if I haven't felt like celebrating the 4th of July, since this country's ideals, on which it was founded, are seemingly so lost.

http://www.antiwar.com/malic/?articleid=9244
http://grayfalcon.blogspot.com/

(note: the following one has numerous "typos" but nevertheless speaks very intelligently -- I'm sure the article must have been rushed and therefore missed being edited)

http://www.serbianna.com/columns/jevtic/015.shtml

 
At 5:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please. Is any country more demonized than the USA?

Ana, the only difference between you and all the other America-bashers around the world is that you get to reap the benefits of living in America.

 
At 5:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

How brave of Anna to suffer through life in the US instead of living as an "utterly mistreated" Serb. The US must really be an awful place. I truly feel her pain.

Brooke, you have a great blog - don't let simple minded people hijack it and use it as a forum for their political views.

If Anna wants to shop her articles around maybe you should tell her to get her own blog.

 
At 8:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Boy, you are really showing your ignorance. Check your history. And, I, personally, do not knock the U.S., although evidently I didn't get that across to you. But facts are facts.

The Russians let Serbia down during the NATO bombing, but WHEN did Russia occupy Serbia -- and for 50 years yet?!

My point was missed by all of you whose knees jerked in response -- that there are legitimate reasons to have grievances against any country, not least the U.S. To call it the greatest country on earth is far fetched, to say the least.

As for the links I provided, you can read them or not -- obviously. There is tons more where that comes from, and unlike some of you I keep myself informed. I do research, I compare contradictory stories, I look into details. There is nobody on this planet that can contradict with any validity whatsoever what I have stated about the U.S./Britain/Germany and I could have said much more than I have. I have actually contained myself very much considering how much information there is proving exactly that over and over again -- every day! Even today.

I wasn't even trying to start a political discussion but to point out how and why someone might have a grievance toward this country. Evidently you are too simplistic to grasp the concept. As the 4th has just passed, you might take the time to consider that the U.S. was formed on the basis that dissent is a good thing and the actions of one's government should be questioned -- especially when they are wrong, and the government has gone against its own official principles.

And if you don't think Serbia has been demonized, then you are living with your heads buried in the sand. There isn't enough space on the sum total of all the available blogs there are to give you ALL the clear evidence that exists, but even one's senses should suffice if one actually sees, listens, reads and thinks.

A country with citizens who cannot take constructive criticism isn't much of a country. You who refuse to so much as acknowledge our flaws as a country do the whole country a disservice and keep it from acquiring what it has long had the potential to have, and has occasionally come close to, but from which it has veered further than ever before - the greatness that was spoken of here.

As for not having to worry about not being shot when you cross the street in the U.S., are you out of your mind? That depends entirely on where in the U.S. you live, love. Wakey, wakey!

It's uncomfortable to look at the truth, isn't it? And the truth is that what the U.S., Britain and Germany have done in the Balkans is nothing short of criminal. But you can bask in your ignorance if you prefer -- it's so much easier...and you have plenty of company.

One last thing: I'll bet every one of you is against the war in Iraq. Yet you don't see that the war on Serbia was based on much bigger lies that even the Iraq war. IF that describes you, you should hang your heads in shame.

 
At 9:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

THIS IS FROM A PERSON WHO WROTE FIRST COMMENT ON THIS TOPIC--FOR SOME OF U THAT ASKED IF I EVER CELEBRATED 4TH OF JULY--YES, I HAVE MANY TIMES AND IT SUCKS..BUNCH OF NOTHING--TYPICAL, BORING SHOW FOR AMERICANS. AND YES, I HAVE BEEN IN THE USA AND I DONT TALK OUT OF MY ASS--BESIDE BEING ECONOMICALLY POWERFULL, CULTURALY IT DOES SUCK ETC..ALL OTHER KISS ASS SERBIANS SHOULD SOON REALIZE THAT NOBODY CARES FOR THEM OVER THERE AT ALL! STOP TRIPPING AND SHOW SOME APPRECIATION AND LOVE FROM WHERE U COME FROM! PEACE

 
At 9:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bravo Anna! we all have been in the usa for 4th of july and it sucks--typical, boring shows for americans..and serbia was neutral during communist regime..and there is much more to explain here to u guys but americanos stupidos think what ya want..who cares..serbs dont..and ps.fred--we are not blaming usa ..u guys re m...f...s...and stay away from us!

 
At 2:42 AM, Blogger Brooke said...

Hey everybody - I'm all for a healthy debate about the political mistakes that every country has made, but I'm not a fan of people I don't even know yelling at each other on my blog. I would invite some of you to start your own blog because it is obvious you have some very strong opinions you'd like to share, but seeing as this is my blog and I get to choose what is shown in the comment bar, I will be taking down any more comments that are insulting, continue this fight or use cuss words (cuss words should be saved for things we can all agree suck - like cancer).

Thanks for reading!

 
At 12:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with you, Brooke. And I trust that you don't count me among those who threw insults at anyone. I thought I was using considerable restraint, and as I said in my first comment, it was not my intention to offend you. And as I also already said, I was not trying to start a political discussion and my orignal point that there are good reasons for grievances (I might have said pain, instead of grievances for that is how it sometimes feels), was missed by those who reacted in a knee-jerk fashion. I also think there is better language with which to object to the U.S.'s actions than to use the word "sucks." Enough said.

 
At 9:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Aunt Brooke,
Wow...it's getting a little crazy in here, isn't it? Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that I had a great 4th of July! I had fun riding rides, eating hot dogs and cotton candy and watching the fireworks. I really missed you this year! Remember last year you danced with those funny glasses on? I miss you so much!
Love,
Rusty Jr.

 
At 9:10 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

After reading all of Anna's comments, I find it rather sad that she must use your blog to vent. She should edit her own comments and have someone proof-read them. She comes across a very unhappy person, living in a country she is not proud of. It makes me wonder why she reads your blog. Does she laugh at your humor or does the fact that you are a happy, young, intelligent, adventurous gal with an interesting blog make her feel jealous? So much so, that she has to use it for her own political forum. When you respond to someone's blog, it is like talking to them in their home. She needs to grow up and use her manners. If she cannot behave, shut the door in her face. She is not welcome. You know some people just look at everything as the glass half empty. Sad, sad, sad.

 
At 2:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 2:43 PM, Blogger Sandra said...

Hey Anna,
do you have a blog of your own? I mean this as a true open question - just so if someone wants to continue "discussing" with you they can do it elsewhere than on Brooke's blog.
I get your points, really. All this hurts- a lot.
I think Brooke voiced a nostalgic feeling on the 4th of July, and she pre-empted anti-US reactions in her P.S. She also wrote a number of super spot-on posts among which "you know they hate us, right?" which you also read. It's difficult - whatever your nationality - to observe and come to terms with the fact that your country/ leaders are not as great and ideal as they could be. It's ok to hurt. Everybody would like their country to be the best. It's just a basic emotional tie we have, even if some countries leverage that more than others. I guess I just want to say that on some things I think you guys are more aligned than what might meet the eye at first, at least mentally. Bu emotionally, it's a different story.... Anyway, sorry if I'm budding in here to play mediator, and I know you said, that you would add no further comments , but if Brooke is ok with it, perhaps you could just let people have your blog/URL/e-mail.

 
At 6:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Keep on writting! Don't worry about Serbian small talk about politic. It's usual subject in our conversation. Don't take it seriously. People, we should love our countries and love each other!!! There is nothing bad in it.

 
At 9:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Actually, I acknowledged to Brook in my original comment that I can understand her feeling sentimental about her country and that it was not my intention to offend.

Sadly, but not surprisingly, as I have learned, people tend to read only every third word or so and so the full meaning is lost -- they get what they think is the "gist" and then react.

I notice that my last comment was removed but not the comment of the person who incited it. Well, I guess that shows me, eh! I now know my place, don't I?

I'll let you know when I get my own blog going -- I've made a start. So long.

 
At 12:28 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Moroni, ne kapirate da je 4.Jul srpski praznik. :)

 
At 10:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello,

to add to the this debate I think the Uk is the best country in the world and we all should celebrate our four national holidays (one per home nation!!!!!!). After all we did invent the welfare state (a good comprimise from a communist dictatorship if i ever did see one). But after the UK I like most brits would put America, most of the EU (especially the netherlands, Spain, Italy, Germany, Scandanavia, Beglium and Portugal), Turkey, the UEA, Kuwait, India, Russia, Canada, New Zealand, South Africa etc etc.....

And may I ask in your years in the UK where you here when we absorbed tens of thousands of refugees? I was, I remember when tens of thousands of refugees where evacuated to our town. Later on I went on to work for an Asylum team (remember the uk takes a massive number of legal and illegal immigrants annually) and a large number of people we dealt with had fled that conflict after suffering during a terrible period at the hands of the serb government. Many where horribly tortured and scared for life.

Like Germany, Serbia must face its past, as it is doing, and as good European citizens we should never forget such acts less the may happen again. And ranting on and on like you have done will do no one any good, especially the people of Serbia.

Dave

 
At 7:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home