Saturday, July 01, 2006

F**K CANCER

This is the first and only campaign promise I will ever make: If I am ever in a position to influence the President of the United States, or am President myself (hey, girl's gotta dream), I promise you that just as John F. Kennedy made a committment to fly men to the moon, I will make the same committment to find a cure for cancer. If the President of United States made a committment to cure cancer by the end of a decade, and put the necessary resources behind her committment, it would be cured. No doubt.

Cancer pisses me off. My mom, my step-mom, my sister-in-law, my grandmother-in-law, my sister-in-law's mother, my friend's father, my friend's mother, my friend's friend, all ages, all sexes, all income levels, all education levels, so many people in my life and in the world have suffered from cancer. When is Amercia - the country that invented the airplane, the telephone, the computer and even invented a type of corn that repels insects - going to focus our inventive juices to finding the causes and cures for cancer? When? When there is money to be made from it, which is why it will take commitment from the government to make it happen.

If you want to know why I think the government should stop spending so much money on a missile defense program (Cold War's over guys) and put our tax dollars towards something that actually would improve the lives of thousands of Americans, you have to look no further than a blog kept by a friend of a friend who has been battling cancer for over a year. I have never met Teb, but she is a 30 year-old mother of one and after reading her blog, I'm sure you will agree that our country's real battle should be against cancer.

I'm sure everyone reading this post is close to someone who has suffered from cancer. If you don't, and want to know how you can join Teb in the fight against cancer, join Teb's Troops or donate to any of the many cancer research foundations. What's more, you can write a letter to your Congressman and tell him/her to stop wasting your tax dollars on pork projects and join the fight against a real killer.

11 Comments:

At 8:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

usa sucks!

 
At 9:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

The Susan G Komen foundation spends ALL of its contributions on RESEARCH and benifits for people with Breast Cancer.

 
At 1:01 AM, Blogger Radmila said...

there will never...NEVER be a cure for cancer.
It employs too many people.
From medical, to the pharmaceutical industry, to philanthropics.
There will never be a cure.
There are too many people living off of it.
I'm a cynic...but hey...I'm eastern european.

 
At 6:31 AM, Blogger Brooke said...

In response to anonymous comment number 1: You know what really sucks? People who are too cowardly to sign their names to insults - but thanks so much for your wisdom and insight.

 
At 2:02 PM, Blogger Nadine said...

My mantra these days is "I hate cancer." The older I get, the more people it affects, and the more tragedy it causes. Thank you for your thoughtful rant...you put it into words far better than I am able to at the moment. And thanks for talking up Teb's Troops, and all of the other great organizations out there helping us wage this war. Maybe someday...

 
At 7:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brooke--anonymous person: Bojana Kesic--does this name mean anything to u? u wanna know where i come from?? there u go..once again, usa sucks!

 
At 3:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cancer sucks. Global warming sucks. Anonymous morons suck. Bojana Kesic sucks big time.

 
At 5:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

usa sucks!

 
At 10:50 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I agree with Rad. There is no money in curing cancer.

It's all about the money.

 
At 4:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks, my dear Brooke ,for putting out the call to end cancer....I certainly know you have been impacted. The more time I volunteer for the Komen Foundation, the more children, women and men I meet that have been impacted.....
Komen gives hope to women for a cure for Breast Cancer...what is everyone else doing??
MCJ

 
At 3:32 PM, Blogger Sandra said...

Actually, there is a lot done to stop people being cured... as Radmilla says, it employs too many people. My Dad has cancer - we just found out a month ago right before he had surgery-and I've been doing some research. A friend of mine introduced me to Dr. Hamer - ever heard about him? It might interest those around you who have cancer to read about his theories and maybe even contact one of the clinics that have adopted his therapies. Unothordox, and maybe not for everyone, but if I ever get it, I'd be willing ot give it a go.
http://users.mrbean.net.au/~wlast/hamer.html
http://curezone.com/diseases/cancer/cancer_body_mind.html

 

Post a Comment

<< Home