Monday, November 14, 2005

We are NOT getting a dog

So I had told many people before I left that I was going to get a dog when we got to Serbia, but Mike and I are now in total agreement that that is NOT going to happen. We each have our reasons; his is puke and mine is 7am cold.

You see, for the past 3 days we have been dog-sitting for a woman in Mike's office. She has an adorable golden retriever that is the most well behaved and friendly dog you'll ever meet. You would think that this dog would be just the thing to convince us to get a dog, but unfortunately, this cute dog named Princess was in our house for no more than 1 hour when she puked-up the biggest, most disgusting pile of dog vomit you have ever seen (this was actually during our party and I can assure you that our party guests were really pleased....hmmm, maybe that's why the ranch dressing didn't go over so well). Anyway, I was in the other room, so Mike set to cleaning it up right away. That pretty much sealed Mike's opinion on dog ownership.

I, on the other hand, was still thinking the dog was sooo cute, and she only vomited because she had eaten bread, so we could avoid that problem easily and be great dog owners! This feeling lasted until exactly 7am the following morning when the dog started whining and sticking her nose in my arm because she needed to be walked. So as I dragged my hung-over self out of bed and put on layers of clothes in order to keep warm in the freezing morning wind I realized that maybe this dog idea was not one of my best. The following mornings have done nothing to improve my opinion. Thus, the "let's get a dog" idea that seemed so great in theory has not held up in practice. We have decided to wait until we have a backyard before we get a dog - that way we can just open the door and let her out when it's cold.

Now Mike thinks we should try babysitting an actual baby for the weekend so that I can be dissuaded from that idea too.....

8 Comments:

At 11:51 PM, Blogger Brad said...

Babies Puke more than dogs.

 
At 3:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

and babies cry lots more too! i've just babysat two different friends' babies the past week - wow, that is a lot of work!
Hope you're having lots of fun over there - Beth H.

 
At 3:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You can have a trial run with rusty jr. It is always nice to be woken up by a crying child at 11:00, 12:00. 1:00..then you finally bring them in your bed and they proceed to cough in your face, want to snuggle up against your cheek, and after hours of no rest, you finally fall asleep and wake up when he is ready at 6 am, to his feet laying across your head. :-) The joys of parenting. Though on the other hand, their hugs, snuggles, and smiles make up for all of that!!!

 
At 5:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Brooke,

I had to laugh at your comment. I must share with you that I house sat for Chris's parents dog for a week and while they were gone. It just so happened that Bailey (the dog) conveniently came down with giardia that week. I woke up one morning to the most putrid smell I've ever smelled and found that Bailey had the most liquid diarrhea all over the cage and all over herself and yours truly spent an hour cleaning the dog and the cage (and yes I actually did puke!) I go to take the trash to the trash can in the backyard (a couple of bags full of nasty paper towels) and I accidentally step in a pile of her diarrhea in my work shoes as I thought I was finally ready to leave for work!! Add on to this she couldn't control it so when she was in the house she had several more accidents that I had the pleasure of cleaning up. Giving the dog her prescription that we got from the vet was another not so amusing story as well but I won't go there.

~Summer

 
At 5:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

So how has the babysitting gone??? I'm thinking dog sitting might be easier!!!! and back yards are the answer we wouldnt be without our Shebly!!! shes an amazing dog (oh excuse me short human with 4 legs) I was just corrected.

 
At 5:08 PM, Blogger Brooke said...

I just gagged reading Summer's comment - really, thanks for sharing :)

 
At 5:10 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

C'mon, Summer - I want to hear the prescription story!!!! You can't leave us hanging!

 
At 6:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

since you asked about the precriptions....

I made Chris take the Bailey dog to the vet because I had already taken time off work to clean up diarrhea (which is just what all of us want to use our precious time off work for!)

Let's just say the dog is a little too smart for her own well being. Typically you can cut up the pills and put them in cheese or bread or peanut butter and the dog will take them without a problem. Not this dog, no sir! She would only eat the portions of the bread and cheese without the pills in it (it took her a good 20-25 minutes to eat around the pills because we broke the pills up to the point it was in powder form) So we cut up the pills and put them into a glob of peanut butter and Chris shoved the peanut butter down her throat and held her mouth shut. The dog REFUSED to swallow so we held her mouth shut for a good 15 minutes and she still wouldn't swallow! When we let go of her mouth she somehow managed to spit out all the peanut butter (didn't know that was possible!) By this point there's peanut butter, cheese and bread all over the kitchen floor and I'm laughing so hard I'm in tears and Chris is upset with me laughing at him trying to get the dog to take her pills. We finally broke the pills up into powder form, put them on bread with a slice of cheese on top and melted the cheese to the bread and then she couldn't get the cheese off or the powdered pills out of the cheese or bread and had to eat it.

To make matters worse his parents get home a few days later and I watch them give her the pills straight (not even wrapped in anything) and she took them without a fight! This of course pissed Chris off that much more because they refused to believe we had that much of a problem, but I was there to tell side with Chris.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home