Wednesday, November 02, 2005

"It burns, it burns!"

Alright boys and girls, today's lesson will be on the importance of using SOAP when washing your hands. I know that many of you have heard me harp about the importance of washing your hands WITH SOAP in order to protect yourself from the cold and flu, but today's example should drive that message home. Word of caution: Do not try this yourself, it is not fun.

So last night Mike came home early from work (YAY) and so we decided to make Chili for dinner. I had bought all the ingredients at the market, including jalepenos pepper for Mike's portion (I'm too wimpy to eat jalapeno peppers). Mike tried a bit of the pepper to see how hot it was. After a small bite, his face turned bright red and he dove for the fridge to get some beer to cool his tastebuds. He decided to cut out the seeds (the hottest part) and eat only the outside part.

So we made a very yummy chili and Mike enjoyed his portion with the jalepenos. After dinner I rinsed off all the dishes and put them in the dishwasher. One of the last things that I cleaned was the cutting board with the jalepeno seeds and remanents on it. First I brushed the seeds and stuff off in the the garbage and then I rinsed the cutting board and placed it in the dishwasher. I then rinsed my hands, dryed them and went to sit on the couch with Mike. A few minutes later I wiped in the corner my eye because I had an itch.....and then immediately my eye started to burn, and I realized that I HAD NOT WASHED MY HANDS WITH SOAP AND NOW THERE WAS JALEPENO IN MY EYE AND IT WAS BUUUUUUUUUURNING!!!!!!

AHHHHH, MY EYE, MY EYE!!! I ran to our bathroom to rip out my contact lens but I didn't even have time to open my contact case and so I just crouched on the floor next to the tub, holding my eye with one hand and the contact up for Mike to deal with in the other. OOOOOUCH!!! IT BURNED!!!! I couldn't even open it, it burned too bad!!! We thought about putting beer in my eye to take away the burning, be decided against it (and Mike didn't want to waste good beer, haha). I couldn't even open it to flush it out with water, so I just sat there with my hand over my eye, WAAAAAAAAAAA! After about a minute, with my eye still burning, I just couldn't stop laughing at the absurdity of the situation. I can't even take jalepeno in my food, and now it was in my eye!!! I have got to be the world's biggest idiot!

After a few minutes, it started to feel better and I was able to flush my eye with some water and then Mike put a bunch of Visine drops in it. My eye is fine now.

Today's lesson: If you don't wash with soap, it's like you didn't wash at all - that, and, never put a jalapeno in your eye.

4 Comments:

At 3:56 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Poor Brooke! Lets just say I am all too familiar with this experience. (we grew habeneros in my garden growing up)Glad you are OK.

 
At 7:07 PM, Blogger Brad said...

aha! the joys of spicy cooking. I do this to myself about twice a year. You think that I'd have learned by now. Those sly and conniving jalapenos! There's nothing like going to work at an eye hospital with a hugely red and tearing eye. Gets you lots of attention. It also really hurts if you happen to get it in your nostril.

 
At 8:23 AM, Blogger Brooke said...

How, might I ask, did you jalapeno in your nostril......oh, wait, I think I figured it out - nose-picker!

 
At 9:51 AM, Blogger Katie said...

Hi Brooke, enjoying reading about your adventures! I had 3 years of Russian between high school and college - I wish you all the luck learning the language! We spent 2-3 weeks just learning the alphabet. They should still be able to understand you, not to mention admire you for attempting, even if you don't get all your cases right all the time. ;-)

Oh, and I've done the same thing with the pepper-finger in the eye (or lip) - rubbing vegetable oil or olive oil on fingers before touching spicy peppers or spicy pepper remains really works well!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home