Wednesday, October 26, 2005

Я не читаю cyrillic

Don't you wish you could read the title of this post? Yeah, me too. You know what's even more frustrating? Having a map and directions written in latin letters but not being able to tell if you're on the street you're supposed to be on because the few street signs are all written in cyrillic. And don't forget that you can't ask anyone since you can't even put two words together. Let me express how this feels in my own version of cyrillic - #%#@$^%#&@^%$#!

That was my experience yesterday as I attempted to walk to Mike's office. Not only did I get lost and have to give up my walk and get in a taxi, but I couldn't even tell the taxi driver where I wanted to go and ended up just pointing to the address on Mike's business card. Not exactly the helpless feeling I'm comfortable with. Obviously I need to add "learn the cyrillic alphabet" to my list of things to do.

Although my temporary solution is to ditch the map and it's stupid latin letters and to navigate using landmarks. I already know that our home is up the street to the left of the giant beer sign hanging from the JAT building. I know that if I pass the "Lili Hip" candy shop I have gone too far and should head back to the left to get home. And from now on I will know that Mike's office is only 4 blocks from the Greek embassy - much easier way to know where I'm going than trying to read cyrillic street signs. I have decided to call on my gatherer instincts (from our hunter/gatherer days) and remember my way around instead of knowing street names - that is until my brain catches up and learns cyrillic.

Until the next adventure,
влюбленность ручеек

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home