Friday, November 04, 2005

Misery Loves Company

So can I just say, I've been in Belgrade for just two weeks and I am going totally crazy without a job. For me, there is nothing more demoralizing or more frustrating than not having a job. I realize that some people think not working would be totally fun, but I am not one of those people. And I have found that most people that think it would be fun have never sat in front of their computer for days on end scouring the internet for jobs, sending out tons of resumes and going to countless informational interviews, only to be told that what I should be doing is "networking" (well what the hell do you think I'm doing talking to you, dumbass!!) Those that have gone through this hopeless experience know what I am talking about.

So instead of looking for a job today, I have spent the entire day whining to my friends back home about how much I hate looking for a job. And I have realized the one thing that has made me feel better: others that are also miserable or have been through the same misery. Happy people giving me some "the sun will come out tomorrow" crap are not helpful, they tend to make me more miserable. Miserable people, or at least a story about a time when you were miserable too, are always welcome.

Seriously folks, send me your miserable job search stories. Email me or comment on the blog. My pity-party is quite empty at the moment. If you are in a good mood then please keep it to yourself today and no trying to buck me up either, only grouchy people are invited.




One caveat to my whining: A certain cousin with a much better grip on reality than I have at the moment pointed out that my whinning should be kept to a minimum because there are a lot of people in the world that would give anything to have only my problems. I can not agree more. There are people going hungry, there are people that lost everything they owned in the Hurricane, there are people that need a job just to feed their kids - not just to feel fulfilled (like me). Overall I certainly count myself as very lucky, but can I still have a little pity-party?

2 Comments:

At 11:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just found your blog, Brooke! (c/o Happy hour in paradise). I had a gap between my current job & last one, and some of the time it sucked, but I tried to make the most of it. I found a job I loved, but I still miss the free time. Enjoy it, and good luck with the search. Sorry I don't know a lot of employers in Belgrade.

 
At 12:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Golly gee, Brooke, cheer up.

Yesterday is the past but today is a gift - that's why they call it the present.

Its always darkest before the dawn.

Just do it!

Carpe Diem.

There's light at the end of the tunnel AND a pot of gold at the end of every rainbow.

You can DO IT!

The sun will come out tomorrow...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home