An "American Party"
So, Mike and I have planned to invite his whole staff to our house on Friday for a little welcoming party for one of Mike's new staff. However, Mike billed the party as an "American-style party." So my newest challenge is to figure out how to make a party "American-style." There will certainly be beer, wine and liquor (but considering the number of liquor stores around, that will not be enough to classify our party as 'American').So the snacks will have to be the thing that makes the party 'American' (and the bad rap/dance music). But here's my problem, if I want to do chips and veggies and dip, it means I should probably have ranch dressing and french onion dip - neither of which are available here. This means that I will have to make these things from scratch *insert scary music here*.
Has anyone ever done this? Does anyone have a really simple recipe that I can use? I looked one up in a cookbook we brought with us and it says I have find ingredients such as buttermilk - I have a hard enough time making sure that I have bought regular milk, there is no way I can understand the word for "buttermilk." And does anyone know if sodium bicarbonate is the same thing as baking soda? That's all I could find at the store. Maybe I'll just make peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and put them on a tray and tell them that this is how we do it in America. Oh man, this is not going to be pretty. Email SIMPLE recipies if you can before friday!

5 Comments:
I heard there was a google site where you put in any three ingredients and you get a recipe. M
As the queen of 'sure it looks homemade but its really takeout in a serving dish' I have a very easy recipe... http://www.recipezaar.com/7750. I dont think you are going to find any powdered soup mix there- so try this one: one cup of sour cream or drained nonfat plain yogurt
one cup of mayonnaise
four tablespoons dried instant onion (preferably the toasted ones, if you can find them)
one and a half tablespoons dried parsley flakes
¾ teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl. Mix. Cover, and refrigerate overnight- it gets thicker (or it should anyway) Adjust salt and pepper to taste.
Brooke, c'mon. Just go to the local Wegman's and get some Cheez-Wiz and Genny. What's so hard about that? Mann
Brooke,
querida amiga, primero que nada te quiero advertir que el backing soda y el bicarbonato de sodio no es lo mismo (al menos no lo creo, ya que uno es para cocinar y el otro para el dolor estomacal...) respecto de túproblema con las recetas y demás cuestiones, yo tampoco sabría exactamente cómo hacer comida americana, pero si te hace falta algo argentino, sólo me tenes que avisar y te lo paso.. Te aseguro que moriría por estar en esa cena y ver con qué te aparecés, al menos hasta donde yo recuerdo, lo mejor que comí a tú lado fueron los power bars que llevaste al Camino del Inca.. jajaja (es una broma)
Te mando un beso grande y si te hace falta algo fácil, avisame y te paso recetas...
Brooke's friend the periodic table said: Glad to see we are having chemistry discussion from three continents! But: sodium BIcarbonate is baking soda; sodium carbonate is laundry detergent. Have a nice party
Post a Comment
<< Home