It's a bird, it's a plane, no, it's our washing machine!
Please make a note: If you ever move to Eastern Europe, and all the ex-pats in town tell you that a dual washing/drying machine is the greatest thing they've ever seen, don't listen.What is a "dual washing/drying machine" you ask? It is just as it sounds. It is front loading (like the ones at the laundry mat - only much, much smaller - it can only handle 7 pounds of clothes at a time, which is not much when your husband wears extra-large sweatshirts - which are way too big for him, but anyway, I digress). You put all (hahaha - "all" - more like a handfull) of your clothes in, and push a bunch of buttons and and 2 hours later, they are washed (yes, it takes 2 hours to wash 7 pounds of clothes). Then you leave the clothes right where they are and push the "dryer" button. All of a sudden, it sounds like you are sitting in the back seat of an airplane right next to the engine (huh? did you just say something? I can't hear you). This little machine starts sounding like it is spinning your clothes at warp speed, and then it slows down, waits 1 minute (just enough time for me to forget it was there) and then the engine starts up again. This takes just 1 hour and then your clothes are pretty much dry (except for the big stuff like sweatshirts, towels, sheets and anything else but socks). It's really a great system. It takes forever, it can only handle a small load and nothing is truly dry when it comes out (it is clean though). And no, I have no idea how one machine can both wash and dry (or sorta dry).
Ah, the joy of Serbian machines. Tomorrow maybe I'll tell you about the air-conditioning units that are spying on us (and no, I have not spent too much time cooped up in my house - ok, maybe I have, but those things really are spying on me all day!!)

3 Comments:
I had to laugh at this one! When my family and I were in London we had something very similiar to this in our flat. I am pretty sure we spent all night trying to figure out how the stupid thing worked and then it wouldn't let us open it between the washing and drying cycles (so what about those clothes you don't want to dry?!) Washer/dryer machines are one thing we Americans know how to do right. Laundry already sucks as it is, why make it such a pain?!
We laughed all the way through this report. Brooke, you're the Bill Bryson of Serbian, and that's a compliment of the highest order. Keep reporting on the good times. You make our day! ATK
You Americans!!! I think you will find all washing machines in Europe are like that, mainly because our houses are so small we cant fit them in! Did you learn nothing from us in London!!!!
Post a Comment
<< Home