Thursday, March 02, 2006

Tweety has the flu

It's official, Serbia has bird flu. It's not like we couldn't have guessed that months ago when all the countries surrounding Serbia reported that they had bird flu, but a dead swan in Serbia has finally been tested and found to have the virus.

And I have to say, both Mike and I have been hit very hard by this news because this will dramatically effect our lifestyle. Mike is especially sad because he will have to give up snuggling with his pet rooster. I, too, am distraught because I will no longer be able to cuddle with my friends, the pigeons (but seeing as they have made a habit of using me for target practice my entire life, I can't say I'm all that upset). The real shame is that we will also have to give up socializing with the cute ducks in the park and the swans won't be allowed to use our guest bedroom when they come on their annual visit.

(Alright, bird flu could mutate into a highly-contagious, deadly disease that could, potentially, infect large numbers of humans. But as for now, our mothers should be assured that as long as we don't make out with the poultry, we'll be safe).

7 Comments:

At 8:55 PM, Blogger Belgrade Daily Photo said...

My mom's been freaking out on me about bird flu for months and months now. She watches waaaaaay too much CNN. *knocks on wood*

 
At 9:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

AND YOU DON'T THINK YOUR FATHERS SHOULD BE CONCERNED???????????
I KNOW THAT MICHAEL LOVED TO KISS CHICKENS WHEN HE WAS A BABY - SO WATCH OUT FOR HIM.
BIG MIKE

 
At 2:58 PM, Blogger Robert said...

I will note your use of "effect" intead of "affect" so that the CMDG people can include it in your performance evaluation. They don't know what to look for like I do.

 
At 4:37 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Yeah, can't blame Brooke for that mistake. She had it right but I, in a moment of grammatical confusion, told her to change it.

 
At 12:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

laugh now, ms. "i studied tropical diseases and nothing can hurt me." See how you feel after the first 10 million have come down with a nasty, high-mortality flu.

gawain

 
At 10:39 AM, Blogger Brooke said...

For the record, I'm not laughing at what could happen should the virus mutate and be transmissible between humans, I'm simply trying to point out that the current virus is only transmitted through close contact with infected poultry and therefore one can prevent the infection of humans through avoiding close contact with birds. If and when the virus does mutate into a flu transmissible between humans, then my advice will be to do everything possible to avoid this or any flu - like washing hands with soap, covering your mouth when you cough, clean high-touch areas like doorknobs and keyboards, stay home when you're sick so you don't infect your whole office and, Gawain, don't pick your nose!!

 
At 2:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Brooke, you just know that we are all concerned about you and Mike...We hear all the news about the bird flu and it might or might not be blown out of proportion, but we are all cautious.
The Jamison bird curse is just a figment of the imagination...and I do not remember laughing all day at the misfortune of your dad. We did sympathize with him....
Just take care.
MCJ

 

Post a Comment

<< Home