Thursday, February 09, 2006

Quarterly Observations about Serbia

I know I've been here for closer to a third of a year than a quarter of a year, but Thirdly Observations sounds stupid (cause Quarterly Observations sounds really smart). Anyway, I thought I'd share some random observations from my first quarter in Serbia:

1. Cyrillic alphabet soup is much cooler than Latin alphabet soup.
2. Serbian lightbulbs don't last more than a few weeks.
3. Hungarian Cherry Coke has a chemical taste.
4. You can avoid dirty looks from store clerks if you remember to bring small change.
5. The smell of smoke in my hair wakes me up at night.
6. The phrase "Ucim Srpski" (I'm learing Serbian) turns unfriendly people into friendly people.
7. The non-chemically treated, non-genetically modified vegetables here taste so much better than anything in an American supermarket.
8. Animal Planet has some really good TV shows.
9. My standard of "really good TV show" has gone way down.
10. Using the internet as a telephone through the company Skype is one of the coolest technologies I've ever seen.
11. Gas in Europe is evrey bit as expensive as they say it is and Americans don't realize how good they STILL have it.
12. Schweppes Bitter Limon soda is damn good.
13. Electric heat is extremely expensive.
14. Serbian beds are not exactly queen-sized or king-sized, rather somewhere in between - and I have a closet full of unusable sheets to prove it.
15. Serbia really needs to implement a "Pooper-Scooper" law because its sidewalks are covered in dog doodoo.

1 Comments:

At 10:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hah! You Said doodoo!

Pivo! Pivo! Pivo! Slivo!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home