Bus etiquette
Alright, I know I risk getting myself in hot water with Serbs who might think there is absolutely nothing wrong with people's bus etiquette here in Belgrade, but I think I have ridden enough buses in enough countries in the world to point out bad bus etiquette when I see it. Now, I have seen the first two examples in other places in the world - that doesn't make it right, of course, it just means that it isn't uncommon. But the third example is unique to Serbia and I know you will have a hard time believing it until you see it - but every word is true.1. The first example of poor bus etiquette is when someone - usually a woman (I have no idea why this is a woman thing) - refuses to scoot in towards the window when there is an empty window seat. She will either let the person that was near the window out and then sit right back on the aisle seat or, if there are two empty seats, she will choose the one on the aisle, and even if the bus gets crowded, she won't scoot in. If someone actually gets up the courage to ask her to scoot in, she usually glares at them and says that she will let them in, but she is NOT going to scoot in. Why this obsession with the aisle seat? Are they really afraid they will get stuck in the window seat and the person on the outside won't let them out?? That has never happened to me, and I always scoot in!! The only explanation I can think of is that they are readying themselves to perform poor etiquette example number 2.....
2. People seem to feel the need to get up from their seats and make their way towards the door even if their stop isn't for another 8 blocks. And it doesn't seem to matter if the bus is speeding, going around a corner or completely packed with people when they make their move - they insist on knocking themselves, and everyone else, off-balance in order to stand right next to the door. Yesterday I even got knocked into the doorwell by an anxious 4'6" lady who had apparently determined that even though I was standing on the top step of the bus, I was not close enough to the door. So she pushed me down a step. In Washington DC, only tourists would do this on the subway; the locals knew that they would have time to get off. I haven't encountered this when riding busses in Argentina, Bolivia, London or Geneva, but in Serbia, it's practically a necessity. I have even found myself getting up and standing right by the door too - not because I want to or because I think it's good form, but if I don't, I run the risk of getting stuck on the bus because of poor etiquette example number 3....
3. The third example makes me the most crazy, and is unique to Serbia. If you don't get ready to immediately jump off the bus when the doors open, some old lady will step up onto the bus the second the doors open at the stop (and only old ladies do this - but I swear, there is an old lady at EVERY stop) - and she will REFUSE to let you off unless you practically push her down by leaping off first. I know that sounds bad, but the old ladies here are really tough!!! Mike had to yell at one the other day in order to get her to back off the first step of the bus and let him out. You would think a 4'7" lady would stay out of the way of a 6'2" guy, but not the Serb bus ladies, they don't care whose way they are blocking. They are going to get on that bus and they could care less about you and your need to get off at your stop.
It sure ain't pretty out here on the buses, and it definitely isn't for the faint hearted. This clearly isn't the pansy Europe that I've seen before - with their sqeaky clean buses; where politeness rules; and the buses are even built to be lowered when a little old lady wants to get on. Nope, here in Serbia you've got to keep your wits about you and your elbows sharp. I've already gone toe-to-toe with many Serb bus ladies in my few months. I've won some battles, and I've lost some battles, and I've got the scars to prove it.

11 Comments:
This is why everyone should have personal cattle prods or tasers for all person-to-person interactions. Reach out and touch someone.
Serbia transportation sounds very much like New York City....older ladies and all.
Keep those elbows sharp
MCJ
LOL! So true. Should have seen buses during Milosevic era. This is nothing
You'll get used ;)
Brooke - apparently you haven't ridden the NYC buses enough. All of these things happen all the time (although I have to admit, I don't scoot in). Plus, I'd like to add another - when getting off the back of the bus, one can easily push the yellow tape and the doors open themselves and stay open for others behind the first person to get off in a smooth fashion. Or, as most people do, they just angrily push open the door so that only they can get off and then it comes crashing closed before the next person can easily get out. Uggg, not a good way to start the day each morning w/ the door slamming in your face....
Lizzie
Brooke, you sound more and more British everytime I read your Blog!!!!! This is such a British complaint, of everywhere!!! I think all those "mind the gaps" and "please let passengers of first" must really be ingrained in you!!!! (ALong with all services suspended!!!!)
Hope to see you in Sunny Wales soon!
Little old ladies of the world unite!! These commenters are ganging up on us.
Hahah!
#3 is a staple on streetcars in Toronto. But, it isn't just old ladies, it's everyone.
And since you can enter and exit at both the back and the front of the bus, there is no way to get off but to push your way off.
My pet peeve is those people who bring luggage with them every day and take up valuable seats with gigantic hockey bags....oh wait! and those assholes who bring their bikes on the bus...erm, isn't the bike for riding?
In my experience an elderly person who is wearing a beret (male or female) is usually the most dangerous. When I see a beret heading my way on the bus I clear out!
I always think, if only the bus drivers will pause at the stop for an extra five-to-ten seconds, people wouldn't have to panic about getting on/off the bus. As it is, most drivers brake, open and close the doors as fast as they can and take off again. Sometimes it seems like the bus has never actually stopped moving.
Having just returned from a trip to Sarajevo, I have to say the Serbs have nothing on the Bosnians when it comes to bad bus etiquette. After waiting an hour in subzero temperatures for a bus from Sarajevo to the ski slopes at Bjelasnica, we found ourselves in the middle of a mob of pushy teenagers. Only one of the two bus doors opened, leaving us a very small opening to get in. The resulting chaos was much like squeezing toothpaste into a tube. When I finally got on the bus, by some miracle many of the seats were free of human bodies - but they had all been reserved by someone's hat or bag. The toothpaste just kept on coming until there was no room to breathe, and the shovers kept shoving, until one of the kids shouted "Hey, there's another bus!" Cue mass exodus.
It's not just bus etiquette, though - it's line etiquette. Once we arrived, we saw the same kind of mayhem by the chairlifts.
As a Canadian of Serbian origin I have some opinions on this topic as well. I found all the things you mentioned about Serbian bus etiquette to be right on the mark. But I must say that taking transit in Canada sometimes has me thinking that things here in the West are not all that much better. People who take up the aisle seat and don't want to move over to the window seat piss me off. Better yet how about those who pretend they are asleep in the front of the bus when an elderly person, pregnant woman, mom with a stroller or a passenger in a wheelchair appear. Giving up your seat for an older person or a mom with little kids appears to be a thing of the past. Oh and recently I've seen bus drivers pulling a Serbian bus classic, stepping out of the bus in the middle of the road to go grab a bite to eat. Okay so in Serbia they go to grab 1/4 slice of burek and jogurt here they grab some Timbits and a Timmies coffee. Different food same annoyance on the part of passengers.
12 comments!!! About people in bus. Yeah!
Post a Comment
<< Home