Friday, January 13, 2006

The all-consuming sink

My husband is usually the greatest. He almost always pays attention to what I am saying (or least he fakes it so well that I don't notice) and he usually doesn't obsess about the little things. But lately, his attention has drifted - he has become totally consumed with our kitchen sink. You see, our sink has a leak. It is a slow leak from the bottom of the handle. We don't know what is causing it. Our landlord has been out numerous times to "fix" it and he has even gone so far as to replace the sink itself. Yet the leak continues. Slowly the water begins to collect on the counter and around the edges of the sink. Eventually, the water starts to drip on the floor. I admit, it is quite annoying. But Mike, ohmygod, Mike can't seem to focus on anything else. The whole time I've been writing this post he has been in the kitchen, turning the water on, turning it off, wiping off the water that leaks out. I will go in the kitchen after he has spent hours with the faucet and he will have erected dish towel barriers all around to try to stop the water from dripping on the floor. (That doesn't work by the way, it eventually soaks the entire towel and ends up on the floor - and then the towel smells like mildew). This has been going on for over a month now. A few weeks ago he gave me strict instructions on how I am to turn the water on for at least 10 seconds and no less, and then last week the instruction was that I am to only leave the handle straight ahead instead of leaning a bit to the right or left. I have followed these instructions to the T - even though I knew full well that they would not solve the problem. He has since discovered that none of these "tricks" have actually done the trick, but that has not stopped him from dedicating entire evenings to fixing the sink. I think I'm even starting to get jealous of our faucet. I have threatened to have an affair with the toaster; which, by the way, is also broken....

4 Comments:

At 8:30 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

thanks for making me laugh out loud!! when my bf is home he likes to spend hours on his VW bug that is now torn into a million little pieces and doesn't even begin to resemble a car, now he has to put it all back together. And to top it all off he says when he's finished he's going to put a transformers decal on the hood and drive it everywhere.

At least you just have a sink to worry about. You won't have to worry about that outside of the house ;)

~Summer

 
At 4:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have you checked the rubber gaskets???

 
At 10:01 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bob and Andy can fix that problem in a jiffy! Send them tickets and they will be right over! It would be a good father-son adventure.
But,on second thought, it's more fun to listen to the mis-adventures that you two have!!!-szw

 
At 1:04 PM, Blogger Brad said...

What you have there is a faulty connector on the inflow pipe from the wall to the faucet. Take the faucet off and use some plumbers epoxy to fill in all the cracks around where the pipe makes it's connection to the faucet.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home