Accent tax
****WARNING - I'm on a rant today*****I've been here for almost 2 months, and I think I have been ripped off by taxi drivers, people in the market, and who knows who else far too many times. I'm beyond sick of it. I have been here long enough to know when I'm being ripped off, and I just had my Serbian teacher teach me how to say, "I know you are charging me too much." It's as if people here hear an accent and therefore decide that I am rich and won't mind or notice when I pay twice as much as someone without an accent. Believe me, I notice.
And while I am venting, I am also beyond sick of people talking about me in front of me just because I don't understand Serbian. I understand tone, and I also understand enough words to know that you are talking about me. The guy in the market selling lightbulbs will forever get my business because both times I have been to his stand, someone else also at the stand heard my Serbian-English and then felt the need to comment to the lightbulb guy about me. Both times the lightbulb guy shot them a look that said, "shut-it! this girl is buying my really expensive, energy-efficient lightbulbs so don't talk shit in front of her!!" Seriously, lightbulb guy has done his pocketbook quite a service because I have A LOT of lights in my house that will need new bulbs.
But seriously, do these people think that I am so ignorant as to not notice when they are talking about me? I want to scream, "Just because I don't speak Serbian does not mean I am stupid - I notice when you say the words Engleski and then giggle!" If I ever wanted motivation to learn Serbian, these people certainly provide it. I can't wait for the day that I actually understand what they are saying and can say something back!!!!!!!!!!!

3 Comments:
LEARN A FEW GOOD CUSS WORDS FIRST.
THE OTHER MIKE
Don't use those taxis waiting at the street, especially at train station or at airport. Generally they are scum and they will overcharge foreigners as much as locals.
In Belgrade it is the best way to order your taxi by a phone.
I'm using "Luks taxi". They have good and reasonably chip service.
It is possible to ask for a non-smoking and English spiking driver or even to ask for a baby-seat if you need one.
Number is +381113033123 or when dialing from Belgrade it's 3033123.
this goes back to what you said about everything thinking you are crazy (being american living in serbia -- why would anyone in america want to live elsewhere) post.
they also believe, you are american
so you are most definately a millionaire anyway ;)
Post a Comment
<< Home