Too good to not republish
Congressman John D. Dingell (MI-15) recited the following poem on the floor of the US House of Representatives concerning House Resolution 579, which expressed the sense of the House of Representatives that the symbols and traditions of Christmas should be protected.Twas the week before Christmas and all through the House
No bills were passed ‘bout which Fox News could grouse;
Tax cuts for the wealthy were passed with great cheer,
So vacations in St. Barts soon would be near;
Katrina kids were nestled all snug in motel beds,
While visions of school and home danced in their heads;
In Iraq our soldiers needed supplies and a plan,
Plus nuclear weapons were being built in Iran;
Gas prices shot up, consumer confidence fell;
Americans feared we were on a fast track to…well…
Wait--- we need a distraction--- something divisive and wily;
A fabrication straight from the mouth of O’Reilly
We can pretend that Christmas is under attack
Hold a vote to save it--- then pat ourselves on the back;
Silent Night, First Noel, Away in the Manger
Wake up Congress, they’re in no danger!
This time of year we see Christmas every where we go,
From churches, to homes, to schools, and yes…even Costco;
What we have is an attempt to divide and destroy,
When this is the season to unite us with joy
At Christmas time we’re taught to unite,
We don’t need a made-up reason to fight
So on O’Reilly, on Hannity, on Coulter, and those right wing blogs;
You should just sit back, relax…have a few egg nogs!
‘Tis the holiday season: enjoy it a pinch
With all our real problems, do we honestly need another Grinch?
So to my friends and my colleagues I say with delight,
A merry Christmas to all,
and to Bill O’Reilly…Happy Holidays.

8 Comments:
I am confused as to what the fuss is about! Can you fill in your non-american readers?! I am taking it that Congress wants to legislate that you have to call Christmas - Christmas. (thats what I gather from our press - quite low on the international news arena!)
If so firstly why dont you call it Happy Holidays anyway? Sounds like your being waved off from London stansted on a £99 package holiday to Benidorm! Maybe I could coin of a new phrase for Easter - happy choclating I would say - which also makes no sense at all!!!! Or maybe you only get one holiday a year? I think the only way forward is for you all to stop using the made up language of "American English" and use the queens English, then you wont have these problems anymore, from your misuse of true English and truly legislate to protect Christmas like we did - force everything to shut on Christmas day!
please let your commonwealth readers know
Matt!!!!!!!
I'm bored with this whole War Against Christmas. What about the War Against Festivus? Why isn't anyone complaining about all the anti-Festites?
Dear "American-English" speakers:
As I painfully learned during my year in London - the British use the word "holiday" in lieu of the word "vacation." Therefore, when you travelled to the beach for a week's vacation, they would say "have a brilliant beach holiday." (they also use the word brilliant to describe EVERYTHING). This would explain why the term "happy holiday's" has resulted in mass confusion for my friend Matt as he thinks that every store in America (except those that pander to right-wing radicals) is wishing us a happy vacation.
If you re-read his comment knowing that little tid-bit it will make more sense. You should also know that London-Stansted is an airport outside of London where the cheaper flights originate from. Although we'll have to wait for an explaination of where Benidorm is because I have never even heard of that.
I do, however, like the idea of "happy chocolating!" for Easter!
Do you think I could add "British English" to my resume as one of the foreign languages that I speak?
I think so, although it would need to be noted that it actually sounds like you are trying audition for Mary Poppins in a similar way that Dick Van-Dike managed his English accent in Mary Popins!!!!!!!
Benidorm is a classy resort in Spain, its one of the many places we have colonised in Europe that we now send our chavs to (As opposed to Oz as in the past!!!!!)
However the return flights mean they come back, but at least there are less here!!!! Oh the benfits the EU entails!!!
Matt
Since moving to Wales I cannot pronounce any of the place names without spititng a river into peoples faces. Do you have this problem in Belgrade Brooke?
Still Med school has its advantages. This week we practised finding the prostrate - work and pleasure combined :)
Dave B
I am taking a moment to update the Brits....Stansted Airport is also the base for EOS Airlines ....which is at the opposite spectrum of low-fare airlines! They fly daily London Stansted-JFK New York. Try it ....you will never want to fly any other way!!!!
Am sorry but I didn't realise people liked the 50 minute commute from stansted to Liverpool Street. I would hate to think how long it takes to drive! Secondly Stansted is a major hub for low frills airlines (easy jet, Ryan air, air Berlin....), along with major package holiday airlines (Excell, Thomas cook, First Choice, JJB, Monarch...) No Airport (apart from Luton) has such a classy line up of poorly rated airlines (apart from the Smaller London Luton Airport!).
And as such is the location where you are likely to be waved of on a cheap £99 packaged week to Ibiza. (remember around a quater of our population goes on package holiday annually).
Obviously some of my chav friends are not aware of the too-posh-for-you "all premium class" EOS airline that has recently begun flights between JFK and Stansted (sorry, uncle Jimmy, I had forgotten too - thanks for reminding me!) Here is a link to their website: http://www.eosairlines.com/photo/photo.html (actually, this is a link to a picture of Uncle Jimmy as a pilot of one of their planes - yay Jimmy!!!).
Post a Comment
<< Home