Brooke's sidewalk guide
I have done a lot of traveling in my short little life, and I have come up with a very quick way to tell if the country you are in is 3rd world, 2nd world or 1st world.3rd world (known in the PC development community as "developing"): hardly any sidewalks anywhere. People tend to walk along the dirt shoulder of highways and the longest sidewalk you will find is about 20 feet (usually in front of an embassy).
2nd world (known in the PC development community as "countries in transition"): sidewalks in most places, but they are often used more for parking cars than walking - therefore forcing pedetrians to weave around the parked cars (this would adequately describe the situation in Belgrade).
1st world (known in the PC development community as "developed"): Sidewalks that are actually used for pedestrians. The sidewalks are usually well maintained and matching and gently slope up and down hills instead of having giant steps every 100 feet (like in the 2nd world).
So if you are ever participating in the show "Amazing Race" and wonder what kind of country you are in, use my handy guide, it never fails.

2 Comments:
Having been in many first, second and third world countries- I totally agree with you.
I have never thought about it before, but you are right.
Since I am not PC - you brought to mind a saying from my days living in Jamaica - Why is Jamaica a third world Country???? ... because there is no such thing as a fourth world country.
Strangely enough, Miami qualifies as a 2nd world country. I guess that's not really too surprising when you think about it. Coming from the Northeast, I was shocked by the lack of sidewalks. No one walks anywhere here either. Funny what you notice.
Post a Comment
<< Home