Thursday, November 24, 2005

30 years of lessons

I know I promised not to post during Thanksgiving, but you would be dissappointed if I didn't at least mention that today is my 30th birthday *groan*. So I thought I would share 30 things I have learned about myself and life in the last 30 years.

1. Imitation is the highest form of flatery (since I have copied this birthday list idea from my friend Brad's "Happy Hour in Paradise" blog - see link to the right).
2. If you really want to feel smart, learn a new language.
3. If you know how to work with numbers, you can understand anything and I really wish I had tried harder in math class.
4. I am not big drinker, but I will never grow tired of dancing.
5. Your mom is the one that did all the work on your "birth day" so you should thank her.
6. There are good guys out there, women just need to raise their standards.
7. A good night's sleep keeps you healthy (that, and hand-washing with soap).
8. There is nothing more important than family.
9. You can never travel too much.
10. I have learned to understand fiscal conservatives (note: I didn't say agree with).
11. I will never understand religious fanatics (Christian, Muslim or otherwise).
12. If you can't get through planning the wedding together, the marriage will never work.
13. Keeping my mouth shut is much harder than gossiping all the time.
14. I can cook a damn fine meal if I actually try.
15. Some women love diamonds, others love art, I love business class on overnight flights.
16. I would rather children see Janet Jackson's breast on tv, than the violence shown every night during primetime.
17. Horror movies are a waste of money - if you want horror, open a newspaper and learn about what's going on in the world.
18. Thoughtful gifts - no matter what the price - are always better (except for weddings, then just do them a favor and buy them something off their registry or give them money).
19. Everywhere I've gone in the world, it's those with the least who always share the most.
20. Many Americans (including our current President) take our country, our wealth and our freedom for granted and they shouldn't.
21. No matter how immature some may think it (dad), poop jokes are funny.
22. The words, "calm down" are never calming, but "how can I help?"usually is.
23.It is easier to forgive others than it is to forgive yourself - I am still embarassed about things I said/did 10 years ago.
24. It is tougher to be taken seriously when you have a young face and high-pitched voice - but I still wouldn't trade it for the world.
25. True feminism is action, not words.
26. EQ (emotional intelligence) is much more important than IQ.
27. Holding the attention of an audience is one of the hardest things to do (thanks for still reading!).
28. Doctors are only human - they can be lazy, distracted and need to be asked a lot of questions to get them to really tell you what they think.
29. Having a job provides a pride that can not be underestimated.
30. I don't think 30 will be so bad as long as I still get to go dancing.

7 Comments:

At 11:55 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

MY DEAR DAUGHTER IN LAW:
YOU HAVE WISDOM BEYOND YOUR YEARS.
MIKE

 
At 2:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Querida Brooke: ya te había dicho alguna vez que tarde o temprano habrías de llegar a los 30 de tú vida, de la misma forma que yo lo hice!!!
La esencia de nuestro ser no envejece, simplemente se enriquece con los años; sos una divina total y te deseo lo mejor!!! Te quiero mucho, entrañable amiga mía, Feliz Cumple!! (si queres te mando algunos Fernet con Coca para que brindes conlos amigos esta noche. Besos

 
At 8:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!! Remember you are only 30....life really begins when you turn 40. Keep telling Mike this! (smw)

 
At 9:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Long time reader, first time poster.
Great to find your blog and see what's up.
Sounds like Serbia is just like Somerville.

 
At 11:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey brooke,
happy birthday!!!
i think my fave is - looking young and high pitched voice (something about the words "high pitched voice" is so funny)

i feel like i'm watching pages of the 30 book turning until it gets to me (in less than a month) -- the big book of 30!

i love that you and mike went to turkey for thanksgiving. awesome!

thanks for being a kickass 30 year old blogger! blog on brooke!

love *crissy

 
At 2:25 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

B,

finally dug out your blog link today - just in time to wish you a belated happy birthday. I can't believe you're just 30. 30 is nothing, I tell you. 32 is the really important one - because it's a 5th power, and you only get two.

best regards and cheers and I plan on commenting on every post you make from here on out.

gawain

 
At 1:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Belated Birthday!!!! We hope you had a great one. Wait until you turn the big 50!!!! Its great for the AAPR ha ha!! We were thinking of you on your day and hoping you had a great one. Love Aunt Janice & Unlce Rod

 

Post a Comment

<< Home