Busted
MEMORANDUMTo: The home office
From: Field agent "desperate serbwife"
Re: Blown cover
At exactly 12:36am on Saturday, December 8, 2005, my cover as a sloppily-dressed, whinning, jobless, neurotic boss' wife should be considered compromised and no longer operable. It was at this time that two informants alerted me to the fact that I was no longer operating anonymously in Belgrade. Apparently Mike's staff had uncovered my blog and had been reading my reports for the previous two weeks. With the exception of insulting every smoker on staff, I do not believe that I am in any immediate danger.
However, my cover of unemployed housewife will no longer be sufficient - I will be forced to find alternate cover. I request authorization to immediately change my appearance, including a decent haircut, some clothes purchased after the turn of the century, some dark-colored socks and definitely a wax to take care of my unruly housewife mustache. Further, please inform that local NGO that it is now time to make me an offer for the Advocacy Advisor position, as 4 months has been sufficient time to check every reference that I provided - as well as speak with my reference's mother, grandmother and third grade English teacher.
Please also inform my husband that abandonment of the housewife cover means that I will no longer be cooking him dinner every night. I will, however, continue to bake cookies as I have found this a effective way to lure prospective informants into my inner circle.
Additionally, while I will have a new cover, my future reports will not be sanitized to protect local interests as my audience will continue to be those in the home office. Thus, those reading locally must be willing to read my perspective on the good, the bad and the ugly of life as a Belgrade ex-pat. Please also be assured that my new cover will still include a strong dose of lunancy, non-sequitors and everyday babble.
I will need a new code name to match my new, stylish, European, and employed (pulease!!) cover. Please send suggestions.

4 Comments:
Speaking for all your blog readers back in the USofA ... I think I can say without hesitation that we really don't care if Mike gets his dinner or not, but please don't stop writing. I can't get through a day without reading the latest chapter of your adventures. I'm now a "Desperate Serbwife" junkie.
How about "Desperate Middle Age Unemployed Wife"
Your other Mike
ouch!
This is why I try to keep my identity on my blog very much on the downlow! Though actually I've already been found out by people who know me and somehow put two and two together from my rather vague references. There's not that many Americans in Belgrade keeping blogs really.
Speaking of which, I'm thrilled to have found yours! I'm also an American serbwife (though literally- my husband is a Serb) living in Belgrade. I'm looking forward to reading future installments!
Post a Comment
<< Home