Hurry up, we've got to relax
Alright, so there is something I just don't get about many Mediterranean/Balkan/Middle Eastern/Latin American countries. Everyone seems to drive like complete speed-addicted maniacs, without any regard for the rules or even little old ladies crossing the street. The average person in these regions would think nothing of zipping across the double-yellow line around a slower car, flying through a stop-sign and then slamming on their brakes when they are just 20 feet from a stopped car in front of them. The driving that I have seen by everyone (not just taxi drivers) is enough to make me nauseous at times. And yet, YET, these speed demons are the same people that will lounge around in a cafe for HOURS drinking a coffee and generally enjoying the laid back lifestyle.It makes no sense! Why are they in such a hurry that they are willing to put their own life, and everyone else's in such danger with their insane driving, and then be willing to waste half the day sitting in a cafe doing nothing? I have even seen people speed like crazy to get to the cafe so that they can relax for the rest of the day with a cappuccino.
The irony of it is simply mesmerizing. I come from one of the most fast-paced countries on earth, and yet drivers generally follow the rules and drive very defensively - and I know my culture frowns upon road rage - something that seems to be part of the driver instruction courses in these parts of the world. And I don't think it's just personality. I generally consider myself high-strung - I will certainly get antsy after an hour of sitting in a cafe, but I have absolutely no problem with slowing down behind a slow car, putting on my blinker, checking my mirrors and then passing only when it is safe.
Perhaps it has something to do with values; not only don’t I want to waste my time at a café, but I also don’t want to waste my life by getting in some stupid, unnecessary car accident. Then again, I predict that someone from one of these regions will feel the need to comment (even though I’m making their point right here) that we’re all going to die sooner or later and so why not spend more of our time doing something relaxing like drinking coffee in a café than spending our time in traffic.
So here is my solution to our clashing cultures: you people that live in said regions should tone down your driving, and I’ll try to spend more time in cafes. I think it’s a fair compromise, no?

2 Comments:
Perhaps, you've been in Serbia just long enough to start romantisizing American drivers. We're pretty bad drivers, too. Actually, Serbian drivers are probably more skilled than American drivers. Americans opt for automatic transmissions instead of standard transmissions in their cars. Serbian taxi drivers, for example, really know how to smoothly and flawlessly shift gears. By the way, didn't you purchase a car with an automatic transmission? ATK
Ohhhh so true.(What you said-not what anon said)
Post a Comment
<< Home