Monday, February 13, 2006

Overlooked gem

So I have noticed that many of the Serbs I have met spend a lot of time worrying about what's going wrong in their country and they often forget some of the things that make their country so great. So I thought I would give a little outside perspective on the little things that I think are really great and point out a few "gems" that I think are often overlooked.

Tonight's gem is Serbian food, with a special emphasis on fresh vegetables. Seriously, Serbian food is sooooo good. There is not a dish that I have tasted that I didn't like - from the burek that I buy at the local bread shop to some of the more complex dishes that my friends have made me. It's all good. And I can't begin to tell you how much taste there is in all of the vegetables!!! I have been all over the world and I have never tasted vegetables that are so savory. I swear, when you guys merge with the EU someday, please don't ever let them talk you into using all of their genetic modifing to make your veggies bigger or more colorful because it will take away the taste. I really think that Serbia should do more to market their delicious vegetables internationally because they are sooo good!

There are obviously many more gems than this, but I went out for such a scrumptious dinner tonight, I can't help but talk about the great food, my tummy is soo pleased!

5 Comments:

At 6:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

One point of correction, I am almost 100% certain you cant buy GM foods in the EU, you deffinetly cant in the UK (unless an american company sneaks in some soya it cant sell - as has happened). But there is no market here for such goods after all the food related disease outbreaks of the 90's we have suffered!!!!! Its the chemicals that we depend on!!!!!

 
At 1:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not sure why the last poster depends on chemicals in his/her foods. However, I am sure that if we did blind taste tests comparing red peppers, carrots or eggplants in Serbia to those from the rest of the EU, the Serbian versions would win hands-down...

 
At 2:15 PM, Blogger Brooke said...

Dear anonymous reader:

When I mentioned the GM plants that Serbia should avoid, I meant the genetic modification that has been used for over a century to make foods bigger and brighter colors and was discovered by Gregor Mendel (link in case you don't know who he is: http://www.physics.uoguelph.ca/summer/scor/articles/scor11.htm ). I do not mean the kind of genetic modification being sold by Montsanto - I am well aware of Europe's fears of that type of GM.

In terms of the "food related disease outbreaks of the 90's" I think you are referring to the mad cow and foot and mouth diseases suffered by cattle - none of which, by the way, can be solved using pesticides or even affect vegetables for that matter.

 
At 3:21 PM, Blogger Daniel said...

You are SO right about the general outlook of people here. At least once a week someone will ask me, "What do you think of Serbia?" -- and then they visibly flinch, as if they're expecting me to slap them. Sometimes my compliments and reassurances aren't good enough and they'll continue, "What do you really think?" or even "Tell me something you don't like here"!

I would say the drinks are as good as the food. I drink liters of turska kafa. I like any kind of rakija better than its counterparts in other countries such as grappa, cognac, vodka, etc. And the last time I was in the US, the thing I unexpectedly found myself missing (there's always something) was Knjaz Milos mineral water!

 
At 2:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe I didnt explain myself properly, I meant the reason why the foods in Serbia are better, is because of the less chemicals they use. Its not down to GM foods, as GM technology in its modern form is hardly used across the continent.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home