Monday, February 27, 2006

In search of a decent sandwich

Most of the co-workers that I volunteer with do not eat lunch. I find this to be a very strange phenomenon and I don't know if this is a Serb-thing or just a big coincidence that 5 of my 7 co-workers don't eat lunch. I have tried asking why they don't eat lunch, and most of them tell me that they just wait until they get home. I don't think this is exactly a reason, but this is the best I can seem to get out of them.

I have begun to think it has something to do with the cost of buying lunch because whenever the office buys lunch (like my first day, or when we're at an all-day workshop) they gorge themselves. But after today's experience, I have decided that the more likely reason they don't eat lunch is because the choices available are pathetic. Unless you are one of the very lucky few that work near a modern place that provides salads to-go, your choices for lunch boil down to this:

1. Burek (the Serb equivalent of greasy fast food that is yummy, but shouldn't be eaten on a daily basis).
2. A bottle of drinkable yogurt and some chips from the local supermarket.
3. A pre-made sandwich consisting of mostly bread, a few moist slices of ham, a wilty piece of lettuce and a couple pieces of grated, tasteless cheese.

That's it.

I opted for the sandwich today, and after 3 bites, I decided that I would rather not eat than eat this disgusting thing. I have never in my life been in a country that is so lacking in the lunch department. What I wouldn't do for a Baja Fresh around the corner, or a Subway sandwich shop down the block. Heck, I'd even settle for a salad from Marks and Spencers.

Now I know what you're thinking - that I always talk about how good the food is - and it is if you want to sit down at a nice restaurant or buy fresh stuff to make - but if you just need a quick lunch to grab and eat at your desk, you're pretty much screwed unless you bring something from home, and we all know that I'm waaaay too lazy for that.

So basically, I'm doomed.....and hungry.

9 Comments:

At 5:20 PM, Blogger Meaghan said...

I, too, suffer. Since I don't actually go to an office, I find that I eat a lot of powdered soup from packets. I dream of deli sandwiches.

 
At 9:58 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Do you want me to send you a nice Dora the Explorer lunch box???????
Then you can make up a nice sandwich and some fruit and bring it in.
Your other Mike

 
At 11:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You mean one of those 12" deli sandwiches with all those Italian meats with lots of lettuce and tomatoes and sometimes your choice of 6 different cheeses? Sprinkled with olives and green peppers with just a dash of mayonnaise and mustard and just a misting of red wine salad oil to keep it moist? Finished off with just a touch of salt and pepper for taste? Oh, would you like that toasted?

You mean one of those sandwiches? Yah, I know what you mean, I had one for lunch today. It was okay.

 
At 2:11 AM, Blogger Brooke said...

cruel and unusual Mr. Anonymous - I hope you're happy that you've made me cry with your beautiful description of the perfect sandwich.

 
At 2:19 PM, Blogger Meaghan said...

Me next, me next! Have a burrito tomorrow and write back!

 
At 6:29 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Unfortunately, I can't come up with a suggestion on where to BUY a good sandwich either. But how about making one? You can get good, fresh and still warm bread at MAXI's bakery section. Stuff it with cheese (not grated but bought as a chunk, e.g. Suboticki), some Kulen, mayonnaise, lettuce and tomatoes. You'll be surprised!
As far as your co-workers eating-habits are concerned: Believe it or not. I'd say they actually DO have lunch when they get home. There's nothing unusal about having lunch around 4 pm or so in Serbia.

 
At 1:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

There is one nice and inexpensive sandwich place in Belgrade. It is called Orao (Eagle) it is located on Bulevar Revolucije across the street from the student dorm Lola. Check it out you won't regret it.

 
At 12:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Since I am still trying to loose weight maybe Rod & I need to come and visit

 
At 1:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I, too have faced this problem.

In fact I ranted about this to a work collegue recently.

The main problem is due to demand. Or more precisely the fact that people eat at home / bring their own sandwiches due to convenience or lack of cash.

Still, if I had the financial backing I'd seriously consider opening up a modern sandwich / juice bar smack bang in the centre of Belgrade - and then one in New Belgrade closeby the new business area.

There is always Do Jaja closeby Dom Omladine which isnt bad.

I dont know about Orao. Was that the traditional place I eat the most greasy pizza ever the other week. Shouldnt have ignored my sixth sense for these things. A traditional Serbian looking place will in all likelyhood only do quality Serbian food, the rest isnt usually much good.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home