Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Couch potato experts

What is it about the Olympics that makes all of us such experts on arcane winter sports? Last night Mike and I were explaining to each other how to get the most lift when jumping off a ski jump. And tonight, we are watching male figure skating. I think their costumes are very pretty and shiny, but Mike thinks that the "bright pink shirt on the Chinese skater clashes with the Torino red." So far, we have compared the techniques of male and female figure skaters and we defintely think the women jump higher - or at least they are more impressive. We also think that you can chalk figure skating up as one of those sports that is certainly more fun to watch the women do. (Mike has even voted male figure skating as the most boring winter Olympic sport - even more than cross country skiing!!).

We have also decided that British commentators are by far better than American ones - British commentators have no qualms about making fun of the performances - which is much more entertaining than listening to the Americans who feel like they always have to say something nice about everyone.

7 Comments:

At 11:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I fell in love with them in 1980 when I was 9 and they were two hours from my house. But I have to admit that I love them less with each skating scandal, the emergence of "Dude!" sports, and everytime Bode Miller comes on the screen. But I am curious...do Serbs care about them?

 
At 11:44 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

someone needs to tell my BF that watching figure skating whether it's pairs, males or females is NOT gay. I tried to get him to watch pairs skating the other night and that lasted all of one performance before the channel was changed to soccer (I know...shocking!!)

I am proud to say that I did manage to get him to watch 20 minutes of the bachelor. I do have to say that show is more entertaining than the olympics for the drama factor :)

~Summer

 
At 2:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just like Terry Wogan at Eurovision

 
At 2:41 PM, Blogger Brooke said...

Dave - is that you with all these anonymous comments? SIGN YOUR NAME, ARRRGH!

 
At 3:46 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

11:30 is me, sorry. Mann

 
At 4:09 PM, Blogger Brooke said...

Hard to know if the Serbs are interested in the Olympics - all the women I work with don't show much interest and have rolled their eyes when I asked if there are any Serbs in the Olympics.

 
At 5:11 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

For some reason, Rusty and I are intrigued by Curling. What a strange sport. It is all about a 44 lb. puck(?) and two brooms. While we waited for an hour to be seated for dinner last night, we watched it on the bar tv. Strangely enough we ended up cheering for Team USA quite a bit, but since there was no sound on the tv, we aren't sure if we were doing well in the event. I think i will google curling now to see how the heck you win!!!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home