Grouchy winter-time Serbwife
It's winter, it's dark and it's cold. I'm grouchy and so I think I'll tell you all the things that are making me grouchy right now:1. cold feet
2. the fact that I just missed Meerkat Manor on Animal Planet
3. my stupid drippy toliet that never stops dripping
4. idiots that think piercing their tongue is cool
5. working until 7pm
6. people that don't plan ahead
7. flying on airplanes
8. a total lack of good cheddar cheese in Serbia
9. turning 31 a few days ago, ugh, I'm getting old
10. dry skin on my hands
11. my stupid hot water tank that takes too long to warm up
12. people that yell at me on my blog as if there is not a real person on the other end reading
13. the dollar/dinar exchange rate that is killing me
14. being a total slouch and not standing up straight
15. cold feet!!
Please don't bother telling me to lighten up, it's my blog and I'll be grouchy if I want to. :)

39 Comments:
Dear Brooke,
Cold feet I remeber very well-- no heated floors in Serbia...
By the way, we all LOVE you in our weird, Serbian way. You're our Serbian "SNAJA."
"Chin up" as Brits say .I've just turned forty -- my own son thinks I'm "ancient", my Dutch friend, on the other hand, thinks that these are the best years of one's life...(she's fifty)...
Cheers,
Milica
Brooke,
We're all here to share, and it's true, some of the people who comment on your blog are very extreme. Total bluntness, teetering on the verge of rudeness is the Serbian way after all! Let's all not take ourselves too seriously...
As for the 31 thing, I feel your pain! 32 is just around the corner for me...(I just found my first white hair (no, not grey: white!) it's all downhill from here...
Cheers,
Gordana
Be grouchy! It's ok. You're in a foreign country.
I hate those hot water heaters, I just kept it "on" all day so when I decided to take a shower, I had hot water. LOL.
You know, they have some awesome Dove products over there that we can't get here like the whipped body souffle in a jar. I love that stuff. Smells great and moisturizes without the greasy Nivea effect. You also have Garnier skin care, lucky ducks!
Feel better!
YES! Dove Body Silk! I should have brought back 30 of them, I swear. Excellent stuff.
:) Gordana
But, it's so warm these days
thank god we dont have cheader cheese in serbia--hahah, thats not a cheese, its a plastic colored orange! you need to visit serbian village and try a real cheese.
and really, the other day it was in the news that this was the warmest winter in 150yrs overhere. how bad could it be brooke? it could get ten times worst at this season of a year. its around 16c and its sunny all day.
and finally, dont get so offensive--you go crazy, we respond to it..but overall, we said this million times--WE LIKE YOU!! (or sometimes ur b...ness)..living here for a year, dont u know its a serbian way of discussing--no hard feelings..even so, we should be cool after drinking some rakija.
cheers!
You can totally leave the heater on , for the whole day. Just be sure to turn it off while you're in the shower;) I agree on tongues and airplanes. Hate long flights!
Don't mean to rub it in but Meerkat Manor was really good this week! Maybe they'll have re-runs.
Milica - the Dutch have it right again - on age.
Goodness, you guys are spoilt :) I've never had a under floor heater before. In fact the only place I've ever seen with under floor heating is in Serbia in a luxury appartment.
anonymous I dont agree that its a good thing there is not a better choice of cheese in Serbia - even if I am an advocate of traditional Serbian food (provided its tasty).
Brooke (or anybody) you ever find yourself humming that catchy Merkat Manor tune?
Oh and please dont feel badly if anybody criticises. I've been on the receiving end of a bit of (inexplicable) criticism myself lately on my B92 blog...
PS Brooke you might want to try some of that Amsterdam cheese thats available in Serbia. Expensive but great tasting.
Happy birthday, Brookalooka!
Brooke,
you will soon be in the land of cheddar cheese so that is something you can tick of your list! Just how much will you want to take back to serbia is the question!
Dave
how come u never write about your hubby...just wondering :)
seriously, where is ur husband in this whole story of living in belgrade? how come you never write about you and him together? does he has his own blog?
If you've read Brooke's previous blog entries, she does mention her husband from time to time. Just a thought: maybe she wants to keep that part of her life private? (After all, so many of us have such strong opinions on most everything else she talks about...)
Gordana
The details of my life are quite inconsequential... very well, where do I begin? My father was a relentlessly self-improving boulangerie owner from Belgium with low grade narcolepsy and a penchant for buggery. My mother was a fifteen year old French prostitute named Chloe with webbed feet. My father would womanize, he would drink. He would make outrageous claims like he invented the question mark. Sometimes he would accuse chestnuts of being lazy. The sort of general malaise that only the genius possess and the insane lament. My childhood was typical. Summers in Rangoon, luge lessons. In the spring we'd make meat helmets. When I was insolent I was placed in a burlap bag and beaten with reeds- pretty standard really. At the age of twelve I received my first scribe. At the age of fourteen a Zoroastrian named Vilma ritualistically shaved my testicles. There really is nothing like a shorn scrotum... it's breathtaking- I highly suggest you try it.
To Serbhusband,
Sad se uverismo da si nas, nek si ziv i zdrav, imas smisao za humor...
Regards to Brooke -- it's perfectly OK to be grumpy-- is Kosava wind blowing at the moment? It usualy lasts for 3,7 or 21 days --it's good for the smog but bad for the nerves...
best,
Milica
That is outstanding Serbhubby!
Serbhusband--you suck! hahaha no wonder serbwife is depressed all the time. Milica, stop kissing ass to serbwife plssss...enough is enough! Oh well, thats all. Have a great weekend everybody! why doesnt it snow these days? i really miss snow.
I just love these "anonymous" comments...
I wouldn't know about kissing ass, but I'm sure you (whatever your name is) could give lessons, since you're an amateur psychologist as well. People like you would depress anyone.
If you're somehow bothered by other people here having a little discussion and sharing experinces, it's vety simple -- you don't have to read, and even better if you didn't participate with your "insights."
best,
M
blah blah..
I actually really like you --just without this lately serbwife u re this and that so wonderfull. enough. i am sure she is tired of it too. my name: bojana.
ps.i enjoy this blog while at work!
Serbhusband:
That read made my day! Thanks for that.
(Still giggling...)
Gordana
you see Gordana and the rest who like what a serbhusband wrote..he wouldnt even write this if anonymous didnt request him to come here and show off. hehe
OK Bojana,
The woman's living in a foreign country, which sometimes feels to some of us as a foreign country too.
She misses her friends and family, she's trying to do some good to improve the conditions there. I loved her early blogs, (my favourite is the one with the photo of celery root)...
To be honest, we haven't given her an easy time, she's feeling grouchy at the moment (and to be honest, so do I) so give us a break, OK?
M
If you say so (but i am not doing anything..just like to visit here and you re taking this too seriously too dramatic).
but OK. i ll give you a break.
B.
Feels like home. Ah... cold feet. Always hated that. Main reason for investing even more work and installing in-floor heating in our house. Though we lived in it only six years, at least we didn't have cold feet. If you start warm in the morning, it lasts all day.
4) that just confirms the diagnose.
5) sucks.
7) depends. If not too often, can even be amusing. And then our airport here (ORF) is the one cute little airport that feels good, which is a near miracle. My favorite pastime is picking the cab when returning home - I take the one which gives the correct answer to "do you have a light?".
8) likewise - sometimes I feel I could cry if I ever found CHEESE here! Anything but cheddar, Monterey Jack, and what was the third kind. Or the molten-into-bricks fake mozzarella, swiss and muenster. Give me cheese which doesn't stick on the knife, and which has TASTE!
Do me a favor: you try any local gouda, kaĨkavalj, trapist or just plain white cheese, and I promise I'll buy cheddar next time. I also promise to try it.
9) been there 20 years ago, no big deal.
10) happens to my wife every winter, even here in the South. Vaseline cream seems to help.
11) keep it on. It may even consume less power to maintain the temperature, than to heat it from scratch. Ask around, I'm not an expert.
12) That's a bit Serbian - "now that we're friends, I can tell you openly". Not that I approve, but I can see where it may come from.
13) Same - whatever money I make here, it's worth less. Still, there's a space between "worth" and "less".
14) It's November. Whenever I think I may get a nostalgia attack, I remember what's November like at home, and it passes. It's really depressing.
15) I know. November.
do not use Vaseline cream-its the worst..you ll get infection.
How cold is it there? According to the BBC weather it seems quite warm.
Brooke,
I never knew mike was Dr Evil!!!! I will have to inform Austin Powers where he is hiding immediately!!!!
(am remembering the old school dancing to the theme tune!!!)
Dave
It is pretty warm! In fact its one of the hottest (if I can describe it that way) since records began.
But come on lets quit this under floor heating talk. Cant we talk about centralno grejanje?
Thats central heating for those that dont know and I dont mean the kind Westerners are thinking - its heating pumped to your home from killometres away...
it was 17c today and it is almost every day like it..serbwife is overreacting.
To Serbhusband regarding your post,
Nice, very nice. I snorted my beer reading it.
Brooke,
75 and Sunny in Miami as I sit here eating my Vermont Sharp cheddar. Later I will have a hot shower and help myself to unencumbered TP. Life is so good here since the November election!
Hi Brooke!
Ok, I can't solve all your problems, hell--I can't even solve one of them....but I can entertain you with one of those "how'd they think of that?" products. It's a travel "handbag hanger" that keeps your purse off the floor.
http://www.containerstore.com/browse/Product.jhtml?PRODID=74297&CATID=74227&searchId=6620225&itemIndex=38
Perhaps you can start a new trend?
by the way--thanks for all of your awesome comments on our blog!!
xoxo,
gwen
Twinzac (Gwen),
I have seen someone using one of these here in Belgrade! Not sure where they got it from.
anything else new in the country of crazy serbs?
It's the comments by anonymous bigots like this that provoke the rage on this blog.
Yes, Serbs might be crazy, but they're neither stupid nor boring, and neither they feel the need to care what ignorant bigots think of them...
oh no, milica again with her philosophy of life..
hey i am serbian and i wrote that in positive way..certainly i dont think serbs are stupid nor boring..i was only wondering if brooke has some news for us..lighten up, milica!you dont have to be so serious all the time!!
http://search.yahoo.com/search?p=At+the+age+of+fourteen+a+Zoroastrian+named+Vilma+ritualistically+shaved+my+testicles.+&fr=yie7c
Post a Comment
<< Home