Visitante numero 5
*Whew* I think I should rename this October as "Brooke's month-o-visitors." My last visitor for the foreseeable future just left today. And while we did do some fun stuff this weekend, I'm afraid that I wasn't the best host because work kept getting in my way (I know, I know, you only live once and your friends are more important than work, but I'm American, I have a hard time putting work aside; it's just not how I was raised). But anyway, I did still have a fabulous time with my friend Liisa from Finland (yes, there are two I's in her name).I met Liisa when I was studying abroad in Argentina and it was a blast catching up with her. We realized how little we've actually changed in the 10 years since we studied together. Besides spending time together in the evenings, we were able to catch a quick trip to Novi Sad to see Petrovaradin fortress. The photo below shows Liisa in front of the fortress walls..

Not only did I have a great time getting reaquainted with an old friend; I also got to practice my Spanish!! You see, whereas Liisa's English is very good, her Spanish is excellent (as well as her German, Swedish and French). So I got to spend the week practicing my use of the subjunctive and past participles (which doesn't sound like fun, but it actually was - kinda like streching your legs after sitting, it's nice to strech your brain a little in ways it's not accustomed).
So now all my guests have gone, the clocks have been changed back and the air has grown cold. You know what time of year that is? It's grumpy, grumbling Serbwife time of year, so stay tuned. I have no more distractions and I have a lot of pent up ranting to do.....

6 Comments:
BRUK (hehe)--I am glad you had fun over here with you 'old' friend from finland. did you explain to her that the balkans are not as scary as 'they' up north think we are? actually, i think she saw it herself. cheers!
I love November and visits and languages
Yeah know what you mean - I've just had a few visitors of my own to juggle.
But to be frank, I'm quite glad they are gone. Well, within reason...
serbian say:'svakog gosta, tri dana dosta!!'
Look on the bright side Brooke -- it's SLAVA time!
A little joke -- that's what we do in the winter -- it's as comforting to us as a Spanish "siesta" except a bit noisier...
best,
Milica
that should have been "fiesta"...
Post a Comment
<< Home