Thursday, September 28, 2006

Hooray for new sidewalks!

I just walked up Bulevar Kralja Aleksandra for the first time since they re-did the sidewalks. How fabulous! Nice and wide and pretty without any cars parked on them or people stepping all over each other trying to get by. They remind me of something....what is it? Hmmm, oh, yeah, Western Europe! Someday people are going to realize that Belgrade really does combine the best of Eastern and Western Europe...

15 Comments:

At 5:27 PM, Blogger Ivan said...

i kinda sorta resent serbia being called "eastern europe". politically yes, but geographically speaking this is southern europe, and as for the people - we have more in common with italians and the spanish than with say poles.

 
At 4:45 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like that chess pattern on the side near Madera

 
At 3:28 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

yeah i saw it too. its nice. bravo! i think it is the beauty of belgrade that it is not completely toward east nor west (ideologically speaking) but it combines both. I agree with you brooke but it is not only now that we see that..that was obvious with belgrade a long ago. look at sofia in bulgaria--it is completely eastern city..budapest a western but belgrade has both sides of it. people are modern and very westernized but it has its culutre and tradition that are not mixed with the western. love it! love u serbia..belgrade and other cities

 
At 2:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Brook,

I am sorry I have to post this here but I wanted to contact you and I couldn't find any other way. I am also an American in Belgrade (from Boulder, CO too!) and I wanted to know if you knew of anyplace where I could get a good margarita in Belgrade. They are the one thing that I am missing the most from back home.

Oh and I also love the new sidewalks on Aleksandre... don't like the construction though.

My email is gregory.goeken@gmail.com and I also have a blog: www.goekenweb.com/GregBlog

I hope all is well and I enjoy reading your blog,

Greg Goeken

 
At 3:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

you can always have margaritas at home! what u need is RAKIJA! thats the best..but i am not sure if u can take it! also, brooke said she doesnt go out that much but i am a night owl and i ll find out the answer for you and will post it here--on the comments. bye

 
At 4:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

GREG--my just visited ur blog--so far i like it! except talking about germany was a bit too much..and i wanted to leave a comment but i need to log in..it sucks..takes time..you should make something like brooke's blog. and so far u think serbian is easy ..wait until u get to PADEZI part of grammar. good luck!

 
At 6:36 PM, Blogger D.R. Fairday said...

Um... sidewalks are somehow American? I lived four years in an university city, and frankly, they don't need no stinkin' sidewalks. Nobody walks anywhere. Few people jog, but that's illiteracy at work: the traffic light says WALK, yet they run.

The existence of sidewalks in the US is at the least spotty. I've seen streets with sidewalks everywhere except five houses. There's no obligation in the law to have them, and for the local regulations, they vary from city to city.

Downtown, yes, but just move a bit away, to a strip mall or a residential area.

One reason we moved to the coast is that this is a walking city. Not that it has sidewalks everywhere, nor is there anything to walk to, but at least there's the boardwalk, where people drive to take a walk :).

I promise my next blog will be about walking in the USA. Meanwhile, I got just doors and windows.

 
At 4:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Margarita's, the best in town in bar-restaurant Zodiac, Vase Pelagica 48a in Senjak. website:
http://belgradezodiac.blogspot.com/
click on Zodiac and you'll see the interior. Every day open and especially thursday's we have aspecial cocktail evening, special prices too. Lot of internationals are coming there!
As for the sidewalks: (better pavement) yes they are nice. but a little bit small for all the people walking there and shopping. Some parts are ok, some are really too small. And why? again for parking lots of cars. They'll never learn here!

 
At 11:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

@ Brooke : I cant belive you like Belgrade that much, even I am not that happy about new sidewalks!

@ Greg: As for margartas, is it national american drink or something ? :) When my fiance had visited me here in Belgrade he also had the same problem, fortunately we found a place that serves good Margaritas here and it is called Library (Biblioteka). It is a cafe located in downtown it has books and stuf in windows and you cant miss it. It is right next to Mc Donalds at Terazije. Just one thing, when you order it, order a double margarita :) so you can get same amount of drink as you would get normaly in america. :) Cheers! Vladimir

 
At 5:05 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

@Vlad!
And in Bar-Restaurant Zodiac you get just order one margarita and get the drink you are used to in the States. This internationally owned place works according to the rules on cocktails like we have them in Europe and (partly) America. hope to see you, ask for Frans and you'll get a free Margarita!!
And every Friday and Saturday live music from the best bands in Belgrade and Serbia!

 
At 12:14 AM, Blogger D.R. Fairday said...

I've kept my promise: http://drfairday.blogspot.com/
has the new entry: Walking USA.

 
At 5:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Anything else happening there except the sidewalks?

Milica

 
At 12:14 PM, Blogger Bg anon said...

I prefer the Balkans to Eastern Europe...

lalara like the chess pattern that used to be the roof of Zeleni Venac?

Speaking of which (Milica) Zeleni Venac market is due to be finished in the next few months. The artists impression looks pretty impressive - it promises to be the most modern of its kind in the Balkans. Plus all the trams are now working again after reconstruction. In fact quite a lot of reconstruction is going on in Serbia at the moment - due to all the money coming into state coffers from various privatisations. Mali Tas(majdan) park will also have a lot of work done upon it. And if you havent been to Belgrade recently you might not have seen the park next to Nemanjino - it looks almost too neat for Belgrade.

But so much still needs to be done - I was in Novi Sad at the weekend. That city is pretty rich and its budget quite high but you wouldnt think it as soon as you move out of the centre. Petrovaradin just next to Novi Sad - where the Exit Festival takes place, and those old narrow streets. Its a crying shame the state of those dillapidated houses. What are the authorities doing and how long do people have to wait for their towns to be restored to their original beauty?

 
At 6:06 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Bg anon,

Thanks so much for the update. It was great to read your comment.

greetings,

Milica

 
At 4:40 PM, Blogger Brooke said...

Hey Greg -

I know it's bit late, but I don't actually know where to get a good margarita here, but it sounds like people had many suggestions so I hope you got the drink that you wanted. My advice for anyone ever looking for a specific alcoholic beverage is to go through duty free and buy it yourself.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home