It's the economy, stupid.
I recently read this statistic about the US economy:"By the start of 2006, the $200 billion annual surplus had turned into a more than $400 billion annual deficit, and the national debt that Washington had started paying off in 1999 was up to more than $8 trillion and was rising."
Let me get out my calculator. This means that for the 300 million citizens of the US, each one of us (even the newborn babies) would have to pay $26,667 just so the US can break even on our debts.
Now I'm confused. When a "tax and spend liberal" was running the country, we were actually paying off our debts and the economy was growing, but now that we have a "fiscally responsible" conservative President AND Congress, our debt is exploding and our economy is in recession. Perhaps what they meant by "fiscally responsible" was that they would fiscally boost the profits of their former employers, the oil companies.
Maybe, in the election this November, the voters of America will stop worrying about if the President is macho enough for their taste and actually hold their elected leaders accountable for the way they are running the country (into the ground).

9 Comments:
I really hope - for everyone's sake - that the American voters will open their eyes on what their conservative president & congress are doing to their country and the rest of the world. (BTW, interesting article on George Clooney in the July edition of Vanity fair... the conservatives are sure going after him! They also had a great Green Issue in June.)
By the way. Who was preparing those statistics? :-) The truth in this country is always relative. I stopped reading the news papers, both parties are champions in spinning the news.
If you think that the democrats, ala those creeps Clinton and Albright, et al, for example, are an improvement, then you ARE a dreamer. How many billions did NATO's escapades in the Balkans cost the U.S. (because the U.S. did pay for it) -- how many billions?? Both parties stink so much it's not possible even to hold your nose and vote anymore.
statistics are never 100% true..only half..surveys are useless and collecting some info of a country is not precise at all. you should all know this. so 30% of unemployment in serbia is not true as well as its low GDP..there are different reasons for this that i will not write now. peace!
national debts are OK. every country has it and it always will..has nothing to do with this today US president.
Brooke, just to let you know you were the bit of inspiration which tipped me over the indecision... and I've started a blog: http://www.drfairday.blogspot.com/
I'm your exact opposite. Well, by situation only.
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Dear crjamison:
This is not a fantacy. This is a first time that Republicans hold presidency and both houses since 1950 and I do not know earlier statistics. (I am from Poland). Democrats had that for 8 terms, in addition they had both houses with republican president for 10 terms. (just 3 terms oposite situation)
verify this here
http://uspolitics.about.com/library/bl_party_division.htm
In hte last 30 years at least, it's always been the case that the national debt gets worse under Republicans! Then they take attention away from this by screaming about the 'tax and spend liberals'
The Republicans always make things harder for poor people. The recent election victory in Conneticut of a different Democrat against Lieberman shows that there's a trend away from 'conservatism' in the States.
Even my former boss, a John Birch Society member missed Clinton, the Stock Market was going very well, and he was making good money. he even said 'I miss Clinton, why can't my guy keep the Stock Market going?' I said to him, 'Not to gloat, but I told you so!'
Post a Comment
<< Home