Thursday, August 17, 2006

"There's no place like home..."

After almost a year of being away, I finally get to go on home leave for the next couple of weeks. While everyone I work with is looking forward to their beach vacations, I can think of nothing more exciting than going home, seeing all the people I have missed so much and living the easy life. The other times in my life when I have lived abroad (especially in places where I am not fluent in the language) I would go home and almost feel like I was cheating because everything was so easy. If I needed to buy something, I knew where to go. If I needed to ask a question of a stranger, I just walked up and asked without having to think of how to say it first. And I was never at a loss about what the culturally acceptable dress, drink, or comment was for any situation. Home really is a vacation in so many ways and I can't tell you how excited I am to go. For all my friends and family reading, I'LL SEE YOU SOON!!!

To my other readers: I will try to post when I'm home but, between spending quality time with my family and trying to be a good bridesmaid for my friend's wedding, I can't make any promises...

Enjoy the end of your summer!

9 Comments:

At 12:17 PM, Blogger D.R. Fairday said...

I've had this strange back-in-old-body experience last year, visiting home after six years' absence.

It was easy, though, because it did feel like a vacation. Just walking around, talking with old friends, being a tourist in your own town.

And I've won a bet against myself. I bet that walking downtown I'll meet someone to chat with before I pass half of the main street - and it actually happened few hundred meters BEFORE main street. And the atmosphere of such encounters was as expected, relaxed, no big fuss, I wasn't treated as some extraterrestrial. All quite casual, as if we last met yesterday. Perfect.

 
At 3:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

You re so right--there is no place like home--after my long travelings in the USA, I cannot wait to go back to my sweet Belgrade and see my family and friends, eat the food, listen to serbian music, hear the language, see the familiar streets, watch the movies, visit my village..ah, serbia I missed you so much, I am coming back, you re the only one to love! PEACE

 
At 9:45 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Aunt Brooke,
I can't wait to see you in a couple of days. I have missed you so much!
Love,
Rusty Jr.

 
At 12:34 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rusty Jr is cute with his message..Brooke, have a great time at home and safe trip. ps.write us if you have time.
Serb-I.

 
At 2:30 AM, Blogger Sandra said...

Happy and safe travels home Serbwife! Enjoy your time there and look forward to reading more of your stuff from there or BG.

 
At 11:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Waiting for your return.

 
At 8:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Are you going to be in DC at all?

 
At 5:54 PM, Blogger Born For Sun said...

hey, have a lot of fun and come back with many lovely new posts

it's fun, and a great experience, but it's also not easy being away from your friends and family

still not sure, but I think I'll go back in a month or so

 
At 8:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It does remind me on "Green, Green Grass of Home". Or that other one: "Take me home ... where I belong..." which spins btw in my brain right now and actually most of the time.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home