Daylight savings time is a crock
It's time for my annual rant about the stupidity of daylight savings time. I'm sure I did this last year, but it's too dark and cold for me to get up the energy to check, so I've decided to whine about it again this year (since daylight savings time also turns me into a big whiner).To begin, I am NOT an early riser, nor do I think anyone else should be. It is always colder in the morning and completely backward to want to leave your bed any earlier than absolutely necessary (if you disagree, I don't care, get your own blog). So this whole thing about needing sun in the morning is just ridiculous. Perhaps we should just start work an hour later if we're so concerned about the darkness. Do we really have to force ourselves to change the clocks so that the sun starts heading down right after I've had my lunch? I rarely see the sun all winter because of this moronic clock-changing requirement (and don't tell me I can see it in the morning; I don't do mornings!!!!).
"Oh, but the children, they can't walk to school in the dark." I'm so tired of that stupid argument. What parent, anywhere, truly believes that starting school at 7:30am fits children's sleeping habits? I mean seriously, every parent in the world practically has to drag their children out of bed to get them there on time. Perhaps, we should consider starting school at the much more reasonable hour of 8:30? This would not only fit children's sleeping pattens better, but would do away with the need to change our clocks back just so that the poor children don't get hit by cars when they cross the street (and I could argue that the danger of getting hit by a car is greater because drivers and kids are half asleep so early, not because of the dark, but that might be streching it).
And finally, I'd like to point out that we actually save energy when we are on "summer time" vs. "winter time" because we use more electricity the earlier the sun goes down. So instead of going to war over oil or insisting we keep our houses at a cooler temperature to save energy, why don't the pro-conservation people push to end this silly clock-changing thing? (Note to American readers, I am aware that conservationists in the US did get Congress to modify daylight savings time by two weeks in order to save energy, but I am advocating going all the way!).
So basically, when it comes down to it, we're all still changing our clocks twice a year out of habit and "because everyone else is doing it." There is no good reason for this and all it does is make people grumpy because it's dark all the time. Harumpf.

12 Comments:
WOOHOO!! Thank you! Now the countdown begins to the shortest day of the year...BOO!! Why would you even want a "shortest day" of the year, who actually looks foward to that?!
I hate mornings too, I don't even get up in enough time to eat breakfast because sleep is more important to me. I also don't believe in coffee, if you can't function without it maybe it's too freaking early and your body is telling you something.
Grrrrrr....winter....
forgot to sign my name on that last comment, I know that drives you crazy Brooke so I'll identify myself for your sanity...it's your cousin from your favorite season :)
As a point of clarification, and correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't daylight savings time actually what just ended? If so, then technically you hate *Standard* time and love Daylight Savings. I believe it was implemented because people agree with you that they prefer to have light in the evenings, especially during the summer. It's the reverting to standard time that you dislike. You should be voting to keep Dayligh Savings year round!
Yes, anonymous above is correct. We are now on standard time, not daylight savings time.
chantelle, that sucks..
sto je ova tema dosadnaaa..
Many countries and regions ignore DST. Equatorial countries for example, they don't have real seasons (hence no need for DST).
Its is about three decades now that Brooke has been cranky in the mornings, especially winter mornings! Love Mom
Schools don't work well for the children they are trying to teach if they start too early. Kids, especially teenagers, are not made to take in information then. It's just a biological thing -- there is plenty of scientific evidence that teens, for example, are not really awake at 8:00 in the morning even if they are physically at their desks. Schools should reform their times and start around 9:30 at the earliest if they want to have their teachings sink in. Of course, that doesn't work for most working parents...
"...and then to have to try and explain how so many of my fellow countrymen fell for his lies!"
Our fellow countrymen fell headlong for Clinton's lies. Whose lies would you prefer us to believe this time?
It is a little known fact that some of the world's nicest people are born on the "shortest day of the year." :-)
JSF
We are back to NORMAL time. Sorry to disappoint you.
Post a Comment
<< Home