Friday, March 10, 2006

Lay off your damn horn

I just got home and I'm CRANKY!!! What is the deal with the incessant horn honking? The horn is for two things, 1) if an accident is about to be caused and you need to alert another driver, or 2) if there is someone totally distracted at the wheel and you need to alert them that they need to stop putting on their lipstick and drive. Here is a list of things the horn should not be used for:

  • honking at a driver 3 cars in front of you who cannot turn right because there is a little old lady crossing the street in front of her
  • honking at a driver right in front of you because you anticipate that the light will be green in 2 seconds
  • honking at someone who is quickly backing into a parking space and just needs a second to get out of your way
  • honking at an empty car that is double parked in front of you
  • honking at the person in front of you who is going 30 miles an hour down a residential street because you don't think she's going fast enough
  • honking at a garbage truck that is simply doing it's job by emptying garbage cans and has to be parked in the street to do it
  • honking in lieu of stopping at the stop-sign while you race through an intersection

And for god's sake, stop laying on your horn at 7am when you're stuck in morning traffic in front of my house!!!!!!!

9 Comments:

At 5:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Has the excitment of having a car worn off?

 
At 1:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Brooke it sure sounds like you are living in a New York environment. It seems I did get used to the horns eventually, especially living in an apartment facing 2nd Avenue. So stay calm and maybe use earplugs at night.
MCJ

 
At 8:19 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Brooke,

I'm work for Radio Open Source, a public radio show that uses the Internet as its lens for talking about the world. I see that you are in Belgrade, and I'm very curious to hear your take on the reaction there to news of Milosevic's death. If you (or anyone reading this comment) would, please send an email to henry@radioopensource.org with any comments, pictures, or links that might be interesting.

Best,

Henry Shepherd
Radio Open Source
henry@radioopensource.org

 
At 11:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Growing up on a busy street I got to the point I never even heard horns people thought I was stuck-up because they would honk & I never responded. Moved closer to the mall where the train went by probably 20 blocks away. Someone would be over and they thought the train was going through my living room with the windows open and all. I never even heard it. Well I got remarried, moved to a cultasac and its a very quite area. Got new windows and now the outside could blow up and we wouldnt know. Get me to somewhere else now and honking horns drive me nuts. My wonderful husband is one of those who lay on the horn I have thought about disconnecting it but thought in an emergency we might be sorry. So I do understand. A. Janice

 
At 10:05 PM, Blogger brewdog said...

How about honking at a car that is pulled over in a city street blocking a lane of traffic when someone is IN the car? Is that ok?

 
At 11:32 PM, Blogger Miss Kim said...

You're making me so NOT looking forward to returning to my apartment in the center of Tirana. Apparently the horn is used in the very same way all across the Balkans. Argggg!

 
At 1:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think there should be a honk limiter built into the horn so you can only have so many honks per 24 hour day. Or, only 10 honks per 100 miles. The honk duration should be limited too. Maybe three honks lasting no more than three seconds, two honks of only two seconds, and the remainder only one second. Do you think we could get a bill in Congress introduced?

Call it the Honky Law.

 
At 1:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It's even better in summer when the windows in the bedroom are open and they start honking their horns at 6am. (You forgot about the car alarms that seem to go off as soon as somebody points at the car).

 
At 4:06 AM, Blogger serbcanadian said...

i bet (because i've lived there) and in serbia - they honk more in New york than in belgrade ;)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home